Rate it: William James The stream of thought flows on; but most of its segments fall into the bottomless abyss of oblivion. Be bold. Most unhappiness is caused because people listen to themselves... instead of talking to themselves. Act the part and you will become the part. The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook. The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it. Act, look, feel successful, conduct yourself accordingly, and you will be amazed at the positive results. The states of consciousness are all that psychology needs to do her work with. William James Quotes. A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. Genius... means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way. There is nothing so absurd that it cannot be believed as truth if repeated often enough. Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second. Action may not bring happiness but there is no happiness without action. -- William James . Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community. "American Treasury, 1455 - 1955". The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. It all depends on the liver. Begin now, 3. Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune. – William James. 2, ch. The good we do today becomes the happiness of tomorrow. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering … That factor is attitude. They draw us on and energize us, give us courage and will to take on important initiatives. The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it. I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing. Once a decision is reached, stop worrying and start working. Military, Thinking, Law. 6. It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome. William James. If you care enough for a result, you will most certainly attain it. The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives. 146 Copy quote. 500 wallpapers “If you can change your mind, you can change your life.” — William James “Be not afraid of life. Everybody should do at least two things each day that he hates to do, just for practice. If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the. Soon it becomes a reality. 22 likes. Give your dreams all you've got, and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you. A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. tags: daring, growth, soul. Book by Thomas S. Monson, 2004. The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated. To study the abnormal is the best way of understanding the normal. You can alter your life by altering the state of your mind. If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a past or future event, then you are residing on another planet with a different reality system. The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. No exceptions. Great emergencies and crises show us how much greater our vital resources are than we had supposed. A man has as many social selves as there are individuals who recognize him. If you want a quality, act as if you already had it. “Act as if what you do makes a difference. WILLIAM JAMES QUOTES. The mind is made up by what it feeds upon. Success or failure depends more upon attitude than upon capacity successful men act as though they have accomplished or are enjoying something. William James A man's Self is the sum total of all that he can call his, not only his body and his psychic powers, but his clothes and his house. We are all ready to be savage in some cause. January 11, 1842 – August 26, 1910. ', 'The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook. 2. Individuality is founded in feeling; and the recesses of feeling, the darker, blinder strata of character, are the only places in the world in which we catch real fact in the making, and directly perceive how events happen, and how work is actually done. The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.