I wondered if anyone thinks you could make this with regular cake instead. Line the sides of an oiled 9 1/2-inch springform pan as smoothly as possible with pieces of plastic wrap (the plastic wrap prevents the filling from discoloring and makes unmolding the cake easier), letting the excess hang over the side, and put an 8-inch cardboard round in the bottom of the pan. NOTICE TO ALL COOKS, NOVICE AND ADVANCED: Do NOT attempt this recipe. I don't know what I did wrong but it was dissapointing because it sounded great. It tasted wonderful though! I melted the white chocolate with 1/2 cup whip cream - not 1 c. as orginally written & I whipped the remaining 1-1/2 cups with the pudding). In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the heavy cream until it holds soft peaks, whisk one fourth of it into the white chocolate mixture, and fold in the remaining whipped cream gently but thoroughly. Make the few changes that have been suggested by others - you won't be disappointed! Will definitely make this again. I chilled the cake overnight in this set up, and when I went to garnish it, the sides came of beautifully. Into a bowl sift together the flour and the salt. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Spread about 1 cup of the raspberry mousse evenly over the middle layer of génoise in the pan, arrange some of the raspberries neatly around the edge of the pan, and continue to arrange the raspberries in concentric circles until the surface of the mousse is covered. I've made this cake twice and I found it relatively easy to make since I'm just a beginner baker. mousse tasted delicious. Remove the bowl from the heat and let the mixture cool. I'm 13 years old and my sister and I made this dessert it didn't take as long as expected. Cool cakes completely, then split each in half to make 4 layers. You have to change and adjust so much if you don't believe me check what everyone else had to do. This was a wonderful, wonderful cake. Pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top, and bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. In a bowl whisk together well the yolks, the sugar, and a pinch of salt, add the cornstarch, sifted, and whisk the mixture until it is just combined. Spread the remaining white chocolate mousse over the génoise (the pan will be completely full) and chill the cake, its surface covered with a sheet of wax paper, for at least 6 hours or overnight. It firmed up the whip cream SO nicely. An equally serious variable is the alcohol content of the framboise. I also recommend adding sugar to taste. I am very disappointed in this recipe, it took a lot of work, the ingredients were costly and the result was terrible. Not for the faint-hearted or hurried, but worth the effort. piping gel also stabilizes cream to a nice thick consistency. I read other reviews & took the advice to add instant vanilla pudding to the whip cream. It was so disappointing to spend the better part of a day making this cake only to have the final product be such a mess. Another trick I learned from making other sponge cakes is to take the eggs and put them in a metal bowl. oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Also when I made the raspberry filling - I didn't bother pureeing the rasberries first. P.S. Can't wait to taste the final product. In a large bowl whisk together the white chocolate and 1 cup of the pastry cream, reserving the remaining pastry cream for the raspberry mousse, until the mixture is combined well. Whisk the reserved pastry cream into the raspberry mixture, whisking until it is smooth, set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water, and whisk the mixture until it is the consistency of raw egg white. For the white chocolate mousse I agree with the cook from MA, the sponge cake turned out to be like rubber on the bottom (very distasteful), as for the raspberry mousse, the gelatin did not set quickly enough, it ran halfway through the cake making it look very unappealing. I've made complicated desserts before but never had one utterly fail, as this did. I have made this dessert many time and is a hit every time, not to sweet, it is labor intensive but well worth the effort, a few tips I good give is to use a 11/2 cups heavy cream for the white chocolate mousse it yelds a little extra, and when making the genoise beat it for 6 minutes minimum. 9 ounces fine-quality white chocolate, chopped, white chocolate génoise, cut horizontally with a serrated knife into 3 layers, 3 ounces fine-quality white chocolate, chopped, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits, 1/4 cup framboise for brushing the cake layer, two 10-ounce packages frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed and drained, reserving 1/3 cup of the syrup, fine-quality white chocolate at room temperature (about 72°F. In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over the framboise and let it soften for 1 minute. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. whipped cream stabilizers are sold in specialty stores or online. Stir in the vanilla. Then the raspberry mousse didn't set up and turned to mush when I unmolded the cake; the raspberries that I had carefully placed came sliding out! It was a lot of work, but worth it. This recipe is a good example of why some of us subscribe to Gourmet - because sometimes you just want to go all out and make a complicated, fancy and stunning dessert. I refered to another pastry book with more details to understand the trickiness of the component parts. You can't go wrong with a cake mix and the white choc. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition I added a box of instant pudding mix as so many have suggested but it was still runny. I made it for co-worker's party, and not only was the whole thing eaten, but every single person there asked for the recipe, and even talked about it days later. 520 calories; protein 5.1g 10% DV; carbohydrates 52.3g 17% DV; fat 33.2g 51% DV; cholesterol 96.5mg 32% DV; sodium 348.1mg 14% DV. I never even got to the rest of the recipe because I couldn't get the cake to work. My kitchen doesn't have lots of pans, so when I bake the cake, I divided it between three 8 inch cake rounds that had the bottoms lined with wax paper. However, don't sweeten too much; a hint of tartness offsets the sweetness of the cake and the mousse. Info. It enhances the berry flavor quite well. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I have made it twice now, and both were successes. What I did instead was to use posterboard. Tastes DELICIOUS!! cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. The posterboard bottom made an easy plate transfer, I just left it there until the cake was gone. The raspberry filling was of a jam consistency - I put it between layer 2 and 3 (mousse between 1 & 2 and 3 & 4). I also strain the raspberries a little after pureeing since I prefer not having the seedy texture. I haven't tried this recipe but i used it as a reference to make my white chocolate mousse and it turned out great. Had my husband take our son out of the house so he wouldn't hear me curse at a cake. Mix cornstarch with a small amount of water and stir into raspberries. In a saucepan, heat pureed raspberries until boiling. This cake is heaven. A 4 layer lemon cake made from a mix, with raspberry filling and white chocolate mousse. Remove the side of the pan, peel the plastic wrap carefully from the side of the cake, and transfer the cake with a spatula to a serving plate. The genoise was a thinner than a newspaper, so cutting it in three is impossible. Invert the middle layer of the genoise onto the mousse, brush it with some of the remaining framboise, and chill the cake and the remaining white chocolate mousse while preparing the raspberry mousse.