How to dress for Summer in Switzerland: 2-3 pairs of shoes: Sandals will do well in summer, but make sure that they’re comfortable if you’ll be doing a lot of walking (something like this). Q. Personally, I prefer to carry a backpack for travel. Want to save this post for future reference? Thank you, with all Thumbs Up. While summer weather is a lot more reliable than the rest of the year, the weather can still vary depending on not only when in summer you visit, but also where. We always travel with a hoodie. Summer/Fall/Spring. I puzzled over what to wear in Switzerland in the summer for MONTHS before our trip. Meanwhile, winter is just straight-up cold no matter where you go, so you’ll want to pack really warm for that. She's happiest when climbing things, snuggling any animal who will let her, and eating improbably large amounts of food. Sharing life in Switzerland over on Instagram: Travel tips and cultural insights for your next visit to Switzerland with kids. Keep it light. Check out more specs and details here. ; Dark colored clothing is always popular in Switzerland. Trip Details. I did and here’s my packing list for Switzerland in summer! I hope that this list helps you in your packing for your next Swiss adventure. For days exploring cities with flat ground, a pair of sneakers will do fine, but for anything more and especially if it will get wet I will be wearing my trekking shoes. These helpful zippered bags are a miracle when it comes to organizing your clothing, keeping everything from bursting out every time you dare open your backpack or suitcase. So, like so many places around the world, fashion in Switzerland says, “when in doubt, wear black.” A dressy outfit or two is nice to have in case you go out to dinner or go to a concert. Having seen too many of my friends struggle with enormous, unwieldy rolling suitcases, I personally recommend that you bring a well-designed travel backpack if it’s comfortable for you, especially if you travel in winter when you may end up trying to roll your suitcase through the freshly laid snow, which is never fun (take it from an idiot who brought a rolling suitcase to Finland in November!). It is rare for the weather to stay fresh the entire summer (although it has happened) but even if you are not spending a lot of time in the mountains, it's a good idea to pack just in case. I am a light packer, so my Tortuga Setout Backpack is usually what I bring. Switzerland may not be the first place you think of for a swimming holiday, but I promise you there is an entire Badi culture and you will want to be a part of it. 10 of the Best things to do in Switzerland in the summer If you are looking for great things to do in Switzerland then I have some great places and activities for your Switzerland itinerary (though Switzerland is geographically tiny there is a lot to see and do). Here is the dilemma. Use Swiss-based websites such as Meteo Schweiz or Meteo Centrale. Have I missed anything on the list? Even though you can visit Switzerland all year round, May is the best time to plan a vacation as the temperature ranges between 10-19 degrees Celsius. You will be grateful for the quick-dry material when you've run into a rainstorm. Bonus is that they don't take up much room in your bag when you no longer need them on. All Rights Reserved. Consider bringing along a pair in an unexpected shade, like gray, for a trendy take on a classic. But if you are planning to do any hiking or long walks, carrying an umbrella will get old fast, so having a rain jacket will be valuable A simple one you can roll small may be all you need, especially if you don't plan to wear it much again after your trip. The evenings in summer can still get quite cool, so when deciding what to wear in Switzerland, include a lightweight jacket for the cooler nights, additionally a raincoat would be beneficial to protect you from the elements and the occasional rain shower. You will be glad to have something to cover the arms. Consider multi-purpose hiking pants that zip off to create shorts or maybe a 3/4 length style for hotter days. Summer is hiking season and if it is on your to-do list then bringing along quick-dry/easy breathing activewear is a good idea. Because summer days can be chillier in Switzerland than in other parts of Europe, jeans are often a good bet for a day of city sightseeing. The clothes that I recommend be on a women’s Switzerland packing list change a bit based on season, so check my recommendations below. 4. She’s happiest when climbing things, snuggling any animal who will let her, and eating improbably large amounts of food. However, items like that are easily purchased wherever you are and make a nice souvenir. Copyright 2019 - Eternal Arrival. For the most part, all you will need for a Swiss summer are light summery outfits. A. As soon as the sun comes out, I love to kick off those socks and go straight into my summer shoe. Pin it to one of your travel boards! They also come in handy when the sun goes down, and you want to still sit outside with a glass of wine by candlelight. No bright colored tennis shoes, wear dark clothing, no collegiate attire, no baseball caps, etc. Designed & Developed by Solo Pine. I hope for you it doesn't, but as the Swiss say, there isn't bad weather just bad clothing choice, so come prepared with a rain jacket. Yes, bring your swimming supplies!! But that "I've been told it is considered rude to wear jeans. I prefer rolling suitcases with four wheels, like this Samsonite spinner, as you don’t have to drag them behind you as you do with a two-wheeler, but it can glide with you at the airport or train station. One of the primary draws to visiting the Alps in the summer is the selection of extreme sports. I definitely do recommend the adaptor – I had trouble with my standard EU plug. The Swiss when not traveling spend their summers cooling off at the closest swimming pool, lake or river, so join the locals. Sometimes to lounge around in, sometimes when the places we are staying in a colder than expected, we even use them for sleeping. One can pack summer wear and light cotton clothes for Switzerland in May. What to Wear in Switzerland in Summer. Will you be mostly in the city, in the mountains or a mixture of both? Switzerland is a challenging place to pack for. Great for cooler mornings or when a wind is blowing and great for layering under a rain jacket if it suddenly drops in temperature. If you do plan to be up in the mountains for an extended period, bringing along a warmer hat for younger kids, may not be a silly idea. I personally use these packing cubes and love them to the ends of the earth. Obviously, depending on where in Switzerland you are going, the temps will vary. Thanks for trying to not offend people when traveling. A. Eternal Arrival is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. Very smart casual or smart business orientated clothes will carry you through for business, sightseeing and for eating out. ; A light raincoat and travel umbrella are useful all year round. Information about the Corona Virus (COVID_19) in Switzerland [0] How to use these Top Questions [1] News & important updates 2019/2020 [2] Introduction & basic information [3] Before you start to planning your trip [4] Public transport in Switzerland [5] Scenic trains & postal bus routes [6] Driving in Switzerland [7] Hiking and sightseeing What to Wear in Switzerland for Men. What are your essential items in your Swiss summer suitcase? Granted, I’m not a man, but here’s what I’d recommend based off what I *think* men would need on a trip to Switzerland. Waterproof Boot I Lace-up Boot. Q. With the temperature changing between north and south, valley and mountain, it can make knowing what to pack a little complicated. Participating in these activities does require a certain amount of clothing preparation since there are many items not durable enough or appropriate for extreme sports.