Between the certainty I have of my existence and the content I try to give to that assurance the gap will never be filled.”, “From the moment absurdity is recognized, it becomes a passion, the most harrowing of all. But aspects cannot be added up. Refresh and try again. There ends all my knowledge, and the rest is construction. Creation is the great mime.”, “If it were sufficient to love, things would be too easy.”, “There is scarcely any passion without struggle.”, “How can one fail to realize that in this vulnerable universe everything that is human and solely human assumes a more vivid meaning?”, “The great novelists are philosophical novelists . I can understand only in human terms. For if I try to seize this self of which I feel sure, if I try to define and to summarize it, it is nothing but water slipping through my fingers. By using our site you consent to our use of cookies. That truth was not worth the stake. He belongs to time, and by the horror that seizes him, he recognizes his worst enemy. The absurd is born of this confrontation between the human need and the unreasonable silence of the world.”, “A man devoid of hope and conscious of being so has ceased to belong to the future.”, “The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. 22 of the best book quotes from Myth of Sisyphus, “Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable.”, “If I admit that my freedom has no meaning except in relation to its limited fate, then I must say that what counts is not the best living but the most living.”, “Creating is living doubly . Whether the earth or the sun revolves around the other is a matter of profound indifference. But it is complete only through the implications of that philosophy.”, “At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman.”, “Any thought that abandons unity glorifies diversity. Forever I shall be a stranger to myself.”, “Likewise and during every day of an unillustrious life, time carries us. When you purchase books using links on our website, Bookroo or its affiliates may receive a small commission (at no added cost to you). 22 of the best book quotes from Myth of Sisyphus #1 ... “If one believes Homer, Sisyphus was the wisest and most prudent of mortals. Sisyphus is the absurd hero. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. This problem must be given priority over others, outside all methods of thought and all exercises of the disinterested mind. "The Myth of Sisyphus ", essay in The Myth of Sisyphus (1942) by Albert CamusThe gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. Share with your friends the best quotes from The Myth of Sisyphus. . According to another tradition, however, he was disposed to practice the profession of highwayman. . I see no contradiction in this.” https://www.azquotes.com/quotes/topics/myth-of-sisyphus.html He feels within him his longing for happiness and for reason. Thus he asserts his youth. . Below you will find the important quotes in The Myth of Sisyphus related to the theme of Philosophy and Art. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor. This man, sentenced to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain and then watching its descent, is the epitome of the absurd hero according to Camus. 323 quotes from The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays: ‘In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion. One must follow and understand this fatal game that leads from lucidity in the face of existence to flight from light.”, “There is no longer a single idea explaining everything, but an infinite number of essences giving a meaning to an infinite number of objects. Yet a day comes when a man notices or says that he is thirty. The world comes to a stop, but also lights up.”, “Like great works, deep feelings always mean more than they are conscious of saying.”, “Thinking is learning all over again how to see, directing one's consciousness, making of every image a privileged place.”, “The human heart has a tiresome tendency to label as fate only what crushes it. Sisyphus … And these two certainties--my appetite for the absolute and for unity and the impossibility of reducing this world to a rational and reasonable principle--I also know that I cannot reconcile them. Your support helps us continue to discover and share incredible kids books! What other truth can I admit without lying, without bringing in a hope which I lack and which means nothing within the limits of my condition?”, “Ce qu'on appelle une raison de vivre est en même temps une excellente raison de mourir.”. We live on the future: “tomorrow,” “later on,” “when you have made your way,” “you will understand when you are old enough.” Such irrelevancies are wonderful, for, after all, it’s a matter of dying. I see no contradiction in this.”, “There is no sun without the shadow, and it is essential to know the night. ", “Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable.”, “Man is always prey to his truths. We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. According to another tradition, however, he was disposed to practice the profession of highwayman. The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays Quotes, “In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”, “A man is more a man through the things he keeps to himself than through those he says.”, “A man wants to earn money in order to be happy, and his whole effort and the best of a life are devoted to the earning of that money. The Myth Of Sisyphus Quotes Quotes tagged as "the-myth-of-sisyphus" Showing 1-11 of 11 “There is no longer a single idea explaining everything, but an infinite number of essences giving a meaning to an infinite number of objects. 1. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor.