Added a little fresh thyme from the garden. My main complaint was that everything got a little mushy; I wish the potatoes would have been crispier. Here are the changes I made: 1) I placed the chops in a glass 9 x 13 dish 2) I cooked the whole Unroll piecrusts; stack on a lightly greased surface. Loved this - but why use garlic-pepper blend from a jar, when instead you can use freshly ground black pepper and a few garlic cloves, diced. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Simple, easy, quick, and delish!! I left it uncovered to cook for almost one hour which made the potatoes nice and crisp. As an alternative to sweet potato casserole, try this 5-ingredient side dish recipe featuring chunks of sweet potato and onion that are seasoned and baked for 35 minutes. Excellent. I made this dish for my husband's birthday dinner, and they were a hit with everyone, including the inlaws and the kids. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. Toss the sweet potatoes with remaining olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste. Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. This is now one of my favorite side dishes an a refreshing alternative way to make sweet potatoes. Yum. Great recipe!! I added 2 TB balsamic vinegar and a good shake of crushed red pepper. One could also add a bit of brown sugar and thyme, or use red onions for a perkier flavor. The leftovers mixed with broth and pureed made AMAZING soup. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Love this! The onions were quite tasty and it's a good dish if you like sweet potatoes not-so-sweet. Place the ½ … They were perfectly toasted without the extra step. Kicked up the seasonings a bit, but otherwise made this as is. I would suggest lightly spraying the cookie sheet/baking dish, in addition to the oil used in the recipe, as the outermost edges of the potatoes and onions seemed to burn and stick to the cookie sheet. This was just awesome. I have had comments from people who really don't like sweet potatoes that this dish has changed their minds. Nutrition If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. I already had my sweet potato and onion sliced just like yours when I started my online search. I first served it at Thanksgiving, but now I find myself making it all year round. Sometimes it is best not to improvise! I followed the recipe exactly, only I did let it cook a little longer without the cover for a little more roasted flavor. I made this recipe in bulk for Thanksgiving dinner for 20. I have added red onion and shallots for a change, in addition to the sweet white onion and once I even threw in some white potatoes and it turned out delicious as always, but of course sweet potatoes are best! I'm giving this four stars, but my version was more like two stars. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Even my 11 year old ate the onions! Out of this world!! Wanted something easy to cook and serve to extra family after hurricane Irene. Add in Cubed/peeled cooked potatoes. I took a previous reviewer's suggestion about adding crushed red pepper. I did use a regular onion though, as well as garlic salt and regular ground pepper. 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks, 2 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut in 1-inch chunks, Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Perfect autumnal meal. So if you’re looking to switch things up a bit this year, give this simple and savory roasted sweet potato side dish a try. It was delicious! Fit piecrust into a 10-inch deep-dish tart pan with removable bottom; press into fluted edges. was a nice touch. I made this without the almonds. This is a meal by itself; rich and savory. Copyright 2004 Jean Carper. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/roasted-sweet-potato-and-onion-salad Printed first in USA WEEKEND. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Will definitely make again, and would be great for holiday meals. I've made it nummerous times. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Made for Thanksgiving sweet potato side and was a hit with everyone--those who like sweet-sweet potato dishes plus those who like not-so-sweet...great all around dish! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. The fast way to do this dish is microwave Sweet Potatoes. I didn't have amaretto so I used 3 tbsp (or so) of brown sugar and tossed with onion and sweet potatoes in large bowl. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Cover the dish and cook for 1 … MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Delicious! I wasn't sure how well sweet potatoes and onions would work together, but to my surprise, they were delicious! Delicious! So easy. I did cheat a little -- rather than toast the almonds I just added them to the last 20 minutes of baking. I wasn't sure how well sweet potatoes and onions would work together, but to my surprise, they were delicious! 4 medium peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 pounds), 2 medium Oso Sweet or other sweet onions, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound), ¾ teaspoon garlic-pepper blend (such as McCormick), Back to Oven-Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions. Thanks for sharing this. Bake at 425° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. All rights reserved. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. My family loved it I didn't have any amaretto so I used a little frozen O.J. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I tried this the first time using a few tablespoons of orange juice and a little brown sugar as I didn't have Amaretto on hand. Sprinkle on the chili powder, salt & pepper. I burnt it a little bit more in the oven for my taste. I made this without the almonds. This was perfect and everyone loved it. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/82575/roasted-sweet-potatoes-onions Will definitely serve again. Cover; bake 30 minutes. But the fact that sweet potatoes (or yams) have a natural sweetness works in their favor-and yours! It is easy, and very very tasty!! Next time I will cut the thyme back by a third and I think the O.J. Thanks for the great recipe! The sweetness of the amaretto was just right. You saved Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Onions to your. Next time I will use less onion. I made this dish for my husband's birthday dinner, and they were a hit with everyone, including the inlaws and the kids. I just found this recipe. I’ll stick with the oil, salt, and pepper like you suggested. Info. https://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/sweet-potato-recipes The sweet potatoes and onions were carmelized and delicious and the almonds were a surprising crunch -- great combination! Uncover; bake 20 minutes more. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition i also made this for my sunday dinner and i was not sure about this...but i gave it a try and it was yummy it is kind of a sweet and savory dish i loved it and i will be making this one again! This fits the bill for a more savory note. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I would suggest lightly spraying the cookie sheet/baking dish, in addition to the oil used in the recipe, as the outermost edges of the potatoes and onions seemed to burn and stick to the cookie sheet.