Buttock’s of the chief’s wife (smile). So…all these ingredients ended up hanging out with each other. Try mixing it into your salad dressings or veggie dips. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The thicker stems pickle well but for these recipes I used only the tips and smaller stocks. Labour Day weekend, I worked in the garden, fixing our side of the new retaining wall the neigbours had built this summer. I find that sometimes I like smooth pesto, and at other times a more chunky variation is desired. Pistachio Purslane Pesto Makes 2 cups. As well, I tend to eyeball my recipes…so go with your taste buds! and 1 tbsp. Pick the leaves off the stalks and wash well to remove any sand or grit. 1 clove garlic, diced In this case, I found 5 large healthy purslane plants along the edge and they were not going to be able to stay. 1 cup parsley. pistachios and sunflowers . Advance notice of a sale so you can plan, product information updates such as a new design or a random draw for a tea towel is more what you can expect to see when you subscribe. Set aside in a bowl with a pinch of salt. If your only option is the big oven hopefully you have additional plans for baking or you can choose not to toast the nuts. Labour Day weekend, I worked in the garden, fixing our side of the new retaining wall the neigbours had built this summer. I mixed the last of this with some hummous and enjoyed a quick lunch with a few crackers. Zine: Seasonal Living with Herbs & Food of the Deep South, Peruvian Pepper Tree and Why Invasive Plants Matter, Herbs for Pregnant and Breastfeeding Mothers. Nov 14, 2016 - Wross the forager is back and this time he makes our plates sing with foraged Wild Sea Purslane from East Sussex. Chop and toast the pecans in a toaster oven if possible. Lemon juice to taste Purslane Pesto. Try it yourself. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. 1 bunch of purslane A traditional pesto recipe has the green goodness of sweet basil that requires the zing of a little lemon juice. I will always say, please, pick only what you need and leave enough of any plant so it can recover and so that animals can also find a food source. And you get all that for about 15 calories per 100 gram (three ounce) serving. It also has a slightly sour taste to it, making it an ideal companion for your conventional basil pesto. That gave the “weeds” the freedom of a lovely summer as I am not good in heat. Herbs, Wildcrafting and other things Earth related. purslane ready to chop . Purslane is high in fiber, minerals and vitamins. While blending, slowly pour olive oil in to allow the ingredients to come together. Two pigments, one in the leaves and one in the yellow blossoms, have been proven anti-mutagenic in lab studies, meaning they help keep human cells from mutating, which is how cancer gets started. 2 bunches of sweet basil, well chopped 1 bunch of purslane 1 clove garlic, diced Palm full of pistachios, coarsely chopped 1/2 palm full of sunflower seeds, coarsely chopped Sea salt to taste Lemon juice to taste EV olive oil, pour and mix until all ingredients are covered well and then some Take the paper off the garlic and combine all the ingredients in a blender. Pesto can be stored in the fridge for several days or frozen for later use. 1/2 cup walnuts. Here is a informative (and funny) post on purslane by Eat the Weeds. Remove purslane leaves from stems, discard stems. At My Kitchen Wand we are not big on major continual mass mail outs. Pistachio Purslane Pesto Makes 2 cups. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I have converted others to hand-chopping their pesto ingredients…maybe you are next? Sea salt to taste For you foragers out there, you can also add chickweed (Stellaria media) or plantain (Plantago spp) to your super green goodness pesto. Option two is a more traditional tasting version wth garlic and parmesan cheese. Posted on September 9, 2016 August 5, 2017 by My Kitchen Wand. There is always something bubbling at My Kitchen Wand; new products, special offers, or an opportunity to add feedback that helps create what you want. Cut in half and juice one half lemon. Purslane leaves have a lot of gooey, mucilaginous juice, which can make them a little sticky. At least, for my taste. And, pistachios happen to be very high in vitamin B6 (which a lot of people are deficient in) and pretty high in thiamine (B1).