Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing! I could eat a Panzanella Salad with “Wild Wonders” tomatoes everyday and never get sick of it…which is weird, because I used to despise tomatoes as a child. The core element of Panzanella is stale bread. A Collection Of Unique Heirloom Veggie Salads -, Copyright Andra Constantinescu © 2020 - All Rights Reserved. However, if you want to get as close to the original, it is my suggestion to go on a holiday in Tuscany: you will not only get to experience the amazing Italian food, but also one of the most spectacular landscapes Italy can offer. Further on, Agnolo di Cosimo – also known as Il Bronzino, an Italian painter from Florence, who lived in the 16th century, referred to a stale bread salad served with diced cucumber, herbs and onions, as to a dish that would send you above the stars. My Take on Panzanella… Toss to combine. Tomatoes. (Don't skimp on the olives or cheese!). July 22, 2014. !…and here it is. Tomatoes. Learn how your comment data is processed. … juggling and dropping balls, as per always but mor, life in a less tiny apartment... // photos by robe, preparing for holidays without the company of exte, not enough lemon balm in the world, if i’m being. Reading My Tea Leaves is a lifestyle blog, written by Erin Boyle, celebrating a practical and purposeful approach to a simple, sustainable life. From the 20th century forward, the tomatoes became increasingly available, and stared to be used in cooking all over Europe. I cannot wait to make this salad at home…. I was gearing up for a sad dinner of French toast when I remembered a slender bulb of July fennel tucked into the crisper. In a large bowl, mix red onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Thanks for the recipe! Bronzino didn’t mentioned tomatoes in his writings about Panzanella, as they were only brought to Italy around the 17th century. Eric Wolfinger. Source: EatingWell … And if you’ve been reading these tea leaves for awhile, you’ll know that the faster a meal comes together, the happpier I am. You can find various interpretations of Panzanella across the whole of Italy, and all over the world really. Place colander with tomatoes in the sink. If you can get your hands on some, make this immediately. You're making me hungry!! Panzanella Salad with “Wild Wonders” tomatoes is rustic, hearty, full of fresh flavors and super simple to make. Tomatoes: Use cherry tomatoes or romas if you can’t find mixed tomatoes… Panzanella, essentially an Italian bread salad, is an easy, one-dish meal that makes perfect use of stale bread and whatever bounty of fresh summer veggies and herbs you have on hand. The tomatoes were so juicy that their own juice, mixed with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil was just enough to moisten the bread. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Chill. Also, in my interpretation of the recipe, I have skipped the bread soaking step. The result? No doubt I’m not alone in this. Add the basil and give the salad a final stir. Like any modern woman faced with half an idea for dinner, I turned to my friend Google and began to type: Why I google as though not equipped with a proper command of the English language, I don’t know. Panzanella is a traditional Tuscan salad that combines bread and tomatoes. The original recipe calls for shallot instead of onion, red wine vinegar, and fresh oregano. Learn how your comment data is processed. Panzanella . Simon Hopkinson's classic panzanella recipe captures the fruity flavours of the Mediterranean. Beautiful, colorful and oh so tasty. In this version I am using a rustic Cibiatta bread. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The Panzanella was then made with basil, white bread and tomatoes, symbolising the colours of the Italian flag. I teach subjects focused on: Food, Society and Culture; Diet & Nutrition; Event Management as well as Marketing and Social Media for Hospitality. It was so good in this: the perfect crunch and extra little layer of flavor! Great recipe! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I can eat a juicy summer tomato in the same way I eat a peach—teeth breaking the thin skin, pink juice dribbling down my chin and wrists. I find that ciabatta also works real well, or even stale bread rolls. Even more, depending on where in Italy you are going, you might find that Panzanella … I currently work as a Hospitality Lecturer at London College of Contemporary Arts and at the University of East London. Tomato panzanella salad with hearty Italian bread, tomatoes, shallots and basil, tossed in a light and tangy dressing! Allow to cool. Remove colander with tomatoes from bowl with tomato juice. If there’s nothing else that appeals about this recipe, the lemon zest added to the croutons will. The history of Panzanella goes back in time to the 14th century, when this simpe salad was quite different from what we know and eat today. This panzanella recipe makes extra dressing that you can use on other salads and vegetables all week. My very favorite part of summer produce are the heirloom tomatoes. So briney and good! Fennel, Radicchio, and Olive Panzanella Adapted from this recipe from Bon Appetit. We want our salad to be a little juicy, but also substantial, so smaller tomatoes … You guys should try it! A panzanella is like deconstructed bruschetta, where you chop day old bread and toss it like a salad with cherry or heirloom tomatoes, red onion, basil, oil and vinegar. night (with tomatoes and cucumbers) and the whole time I was eating it, I thought, this would be divine with fennel!! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. However, even more than 100 years later, tomatoes were still not available for everyone, so Panzanella was still made mainly with onions , cucumbers and herbs. Panzanella with Tomatoes & Grilled Corn Panzanella with Tomatoes & Grilled Corn. They soaked the stale bread in water and vinegar, and then mixed it with whatever fresh vegetables were available in the garden. Panzanella is an Italian (specifically, Tuscan) salad made of stale bread and juicy tomatoes, with plenty of extra-virgin olive oil. Add shallot, garlic, mustard, and vinegar to the bowl with tomato juice. As for the tomatoes, I chose the heirloom varieties as they are now in full season and way more flavoursome than regular tomatoes. This bread salad, also known as panzanella, is super tasty, a great way to use up an abundance of sourdough or artisan bread and fresh tomatoes, basil and cucumbers from the garden. This is all a roundabout way of saying that yesterday I found myself with a loaf of past-its-prime bread and no juicy August tomatoes to turn it into a lip-smacking panzanella. A good summer tomato requires little more than a pinch of sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil to turn it into a meal. Christmas Dinner Inspiration: Lamb Shoulder and All the Trimmings (AD), The Big Night In – Powered by Toffifee (AD), How to Cook a Duck (Chapter II): Duck Pilaf. The key to this recipe is to get the bread really dry by toasting it. I cannot get my fiance on the raw fennel bandwagon, but perhaps If I roasted it first it might take.