G# octatonic half-whole: Ab octatonic whole-half: Inspired by his role model (Jermaine Griggs) who has become his mentor, what he started off as teaching musicians in his Aba-Nigeria neighborhood in April 2005 eventually morphed into an international career that has helped hundreds of thousands of musicians all around the world. Every note has a certain function in the scale, and solfège helps you know what each note’s job is. Tonic sol–fa is a movable do system; tonic is always "doh," the dominant scale degree is … It is also a very useful tool to learn from and, as we mentioned earlier, is used extensively in singing lessons.. The solfege for this scale is la do re mi sol la. This caret tells us we are talking specifically about scale degrees. On the tab pane 'Practice' you can play notes as on a piano. From its name, you can tell that the half steps and whole steps are alternated in this order: Half step + Whole step + Half step + Whole step etc. A + whole step = B: Some experience players may recognize these two scales as the “diminished scale.” You’ve just learned the whole-half diminished scale along with the half-whole variation. For minor, since the third, sixth, and seventh notes change, we have different syllables for the changing notes. Below are octatonic “whole-half” scales in all keys: C# octatonic whole-half: One of the ways of classifying scales is according to the number of notes they have per octave (aka – “note aggregate”). …then we add a half step to B. You should learn the major and minor solfege syllables fluently. Hey Doctor! This is another variant of the octatonic scale. For example, Do is the home base note. Thanks alot! What do they all have in common? …similar to Gb octatonic half whole. Further reading: Six Common Melodic Progressions. The whole-half diminished scale is commonly used in conjunction with diminished harmony (e.g., the E chord) while the half-whole scale is used in dominant harmony (e.g., with an F chord). D to D#: …from a white note to a black note. …it’s between two adjacent white notes. Here is an example of a octatonic scale starting on D: An octatonic scale may also begin with a whole-step: W-H-W-H-W-H-W-H . C C# D# E F# G A Bb C. Can you see the repetition of the C (C and C#): Octatonic Scale Etudes. …then we add a half step to F#. …similar to Eb octatonic whole-half. …similar to Ab octatonic half whole. A final set of labels can be called scale degree names. …or five notes per octave in the case of the pentatonic scale: Formation of the octatonic scale is by alternating half steps and whole steps (which are the two melodic progressions we just covered in the last segment) from any note until an octave is reached. So here is our solfege for the notes in C major. Note the caret above each number. Note: Beyond this point in this post, your understanding of our subject – the octatonic scale – will depend on your understanding of these two melodic progressions: semitone (half step) and whole tone (whole step). You’ll also get some helpful hints to remember which hand signs accompany each syllable. Here is the whole system of movable do solfege. Octatonic Scales. We have three ways of labeling pitches inside a key. C# to D#: C# to D: Bb octatonic half-whole: I happen to like using solfege most often, as I think it is the most versatile, but you will see these words over and over again. These will come in handy when we want to name chords related to keys. half-whole diminished scale, Comparisons with Fixed- and Movable-Do Solfège. whole-half diminished scale, { 3 comments… read them below or add one }. F# + half step = G: In this post, we’ll get started with the octatonic scale. Please make sure you know these terms as well. Here is the solfege for C natural minor. Download Solfège Scale - With Solf ge Scale you can learn to sing intervals. There are even whole tones like E to F#: Therefore C to D: i really appreciate your effort and your musical lessons. Ask Dr. Pokey: “What Is The Main Purpose Of Chord Inversions?” (Part 1). It might be easiest to sing as overlapping 1–2–b3 patterns: A distance of two semitones is equal to one whole tone. Do Re Mi – The Sound Of Music. Here you are: C + half step = C#: C to C#: This scale is sometimes used in … After some practice and familiarization, the solfège allows a musician to audiate, or mentally hear, the pitches of a piece of music which he or she is seeing for the first time, then sing them aloud.. Solfège Syllables. At this point, an octave is reached. It’s even possible to have various spellings of this octatonic scale. The Octatonic Scale is a scale that has eight notes that is constructed from alternating half-steps (H) and whole-steps (W). The most well-known use of solfege is this song from The Sound of Music (above).. From one note on the piano to an adjacent note, whether white or black is a semitone (or half step). Octatonic (Diminished) The octatonic or diminished scale is an eight note scale in which the intervals alternate between whole and half steps. This system of solfege is called movable do with do-based minor. But before that, let’s review two melodic progressions that we’ll certainly need in the formation of the octatonic scale. Here you are with C octatonic “half-whole” scale: The octatonic “half-whole” scale is so called because of the order the melodic progressions it’s built off. The reverse is the case for Eb to F: There are also versions of solfege where Do is always C (fixed do), and another movable do that starts minor keys on la (to match relative keys rather than parallel ones). Now that you know your keys and scales, we can name all of the notes in a key. …then we add a whole step to F#. …then we add a whole step to G. G + whole step = A: Solfege syllables help me as I listen to music and help ground my ears when I am having trouble telling what key I am in. Melodic progressions are a product of the division of the octave into a certain number of equal parts. However, a movable system is best for helping students easily hear and recognize the function of each note in a scale and relationships between each note in a melody, no matter what key the music is in. If you have never used solfege before, you probably know the syllables we use from this famous song from The Sound of Music. Understanding the term octatonic as an eight-tone scale won’t be difficult if you’re familiar with prefixes. scales in Stravinsky’s early music, the longest of which rivals in length and explicitness any of the octatonic passages in The Rite of Spring. Did you also notice that sharp and flat symbols are used freely? Learn Your Solfège Hand Signs. …where it’s a black note to a white note. D to E: Here are some of them: I can’t wait to show you the application of the octatonic scale in a future post (I’ve already given you a hint… “diminished”). D# octatonic whole-half: (You’ll notice that it’s the same solfege as for the major pentatonic scale, but starts on la instead of do.) Octatonic scale (diminished scale) The octatonic scale, or diminished scale in jazz theory, has alternating whole steps and half steps. The two melodic progressions we’ll use in the formation of the octatonic scale are the semitone (aka – “half step”) and the whole tone (aka – “whole step”). Let’s keep on living, loving, and learning. To say these numbers out loud, we can say either “scale degree one” or “the first scale degree.” For example, Sol is the fifth scale degree. There are two variants of the octatonic scale: This variant of the octatonic scale is built off half steps and whole steps that are alternated in this order: Whole step + Half step + Whole step + Half step etc., and that’s pretty much where the name “whole-half” comes from. Onyemachi "Onye" Chuku (aka - "Dr. Pokey") is a Nigerian musicologist, pianist, and author. …then we add a half step to D. D + half step = D#: Further reading: Six Common Melodic Progressions. I want to learn hw to arpeggiate on the piano. Think of the octopus, and even the octave. The version of solfege we use moves Do to always be the keynote. A + half step = A#: When working through some of Barry Harris’ ideas on chord/scale relationships it occurred to me that the eight-tone or octatonic scales found in his method can be generated by taking the chord tones of the chord you wish to imply and fill with the notes of the diminished seventh chord that is … …then we add a whole step to D#. diminished scale, 2nd semitone (C# to D): D# octatonic half-whole: …similar to A# octatonic half whole. Oct, for the most part, represents eight. It’s the note that makes us feel like the song is done.