To the extent that you understand it, feel it, and live daily with a deep sense of its reality, you will live in victory over temptation and sin and be able joyfully to persevere through trials. How does this undermine the current popular emphasis on “self-esteem”? 15:50-54), the moment we die our spirits go to be with the Lord. There is no group plan of salvation that you can get by joining the church or growing up in a Christian family. Second, in 8:39 Paul says that the love of God “is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” The cross shows the love of the Son of God, who willingly laid down His life for us (John 10:18; 15:13). Verse 35 assumes that there are enemies that will try to separate us from the love of Christ. It refers to the verbal or physical abuse that we suffer because of Christ. As I mentioned in a previous message, Paul is not writing these wonderful truths so that we can feel more secure as we pursue the American dream. Nothing currently happening now or anything that will happen in the future is able to separate us from the love of Christ. When The Sun Finally Rises: Wrestling With The Past (Gen. 32:22-32), 2. His love is not threatened or undermined by the worst adversities or trials imaginable. From 1977-1992 he was the pastor of Lake Gregory Community Church in Crestline, California. It’s not possible that an angel from heaven would do that, but Paul is stating an extreme hypothetical situation to make his point. Or, to put it another way, you will not know God’s great love unless Jesus Christ is your Lord. The world just considers believers as “sheep to be slaughtered.” And it shows, as I said, that such suffering is nothing new. YOUTH GROUP LESSON ON GOD’S LOVE. He illustrates distress by another ancient form of punishment, where prisoners were put into cages or cells where they did not have room to stand, sit, or lie at full length. Why am I ever distrustful, fearful, or depressed? Why is the “health and wealth” teaching so patently false and damaging? <> 251-252), Paul here is countering our fears. Jesus said (Matt. The greatest proof of His love was at the cross. K��m�D;ͺ��R�l{v�y�j7��ۮ�!�� q��ꪼmP��V>��5�>�+8B`������ ��g-/������=��Q��� �i��6��]|#k�;x0���@����q^n&���u�vu^� N�]������/edm��� God’s love is the same. But Paul is showing that no matter how difficult the trial, even to the point of martyrdom, God’s love for us is a rock solid foundation. Allow the kids to make tear paper hearts or decorate in glitter in the corners of the worksheet. Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture Quotations are from the New American Standard Bible, Updated Edition © The Lockman Foundation, Related Topics: Love, Suffering, Trials, Persecution, Steve served as the pastor of Flagstaff Christian Fellowship from May, 1992 through his retirement in December, 2018. Why do I ever allow myself to grow cool, formal, and half-hearted in the service of the God who loves me so? So we need to understand and apply Paul’s words about how God’s love enables us to be more than conquerors through every trial that we face for His sake. 2:7). Since God did all of this for us while we were yet sinners (Rom. It must be personal for you, as it was for Paul, who wrote, “I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me” (Gal. 39 Not even the highest places or the lowest, or anything else in all creation can separate us. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” Paul promised (2 Tim. endobj Paul knew of God's love. In Galatians 1:8, Paul says that even if an angel from heaven preaches a gospel contrary to the gospel that Paul had preached, he is to be accursed. We must recognize the depths of our sin to appreciate the heights of God’s love. Peril means “danger.” Paul uses this word eight times in 2 Corinthians 11:26 to describe the many dangers that he had faced in his labors for Christ. Sword refers to execution or death, which Paul finally suffered for his faith. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” Paul used it when he taught new believers (Acts 14:22), “Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.”. ���*VX�;.��gg�|V8D�qYA���j�׳=�����Z{`S����-'!���+5�]�N�8#�3�m�2��;3짨/tV6�5��o�z�|�|�)����;��~��t��.�T96[��.ϲ�]7.,�����]k����[�E������w�`'Φa95��1ﺙ�sg]��ڠG�5=���IDh���?�M��Uw�@�W��� <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/Annots[ 46 0 R] /MediaBox[ 0 0 792 612.18] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> The best manuscripts put it at the end of the verse. Romans 8:38-39 can be one of the most encouraging verses in Scripture. But in John 14, Jesus is teaching those who already have responded to God’s love that a close relationship with God is reciprocal.