For me, they're definitely an... read more asset! However, research has shown that evening primrose may not be effective in treating these conditions. The first couple of years I had them, the seed pods were tiny with sand like seeds. Plant in low fertility ("lean") soil including dry clay, positioned in full sun. Deadheading is very simple. I have a hard time germinating them as well. On Dec 27, 2007, JedS from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote: Even if you live in Missouri, don't venture to plant this in poor draining, rich clay soil, as I did, unless it's for a nobler cause. The flowers are fun, but the seed pods are intriguing. I'm in zone 5, and because I was told in advance that they were possibly invasive, I planted them in an area where I wouldn't have to worry. Even though I amended the soil with sand, it flops and stays that way with the onset of the early Spring rains. Attracts butterflies, luna moths and bumblebee moth.....Summer fun! My plants that I have had for several years just get bigger each year. Nevertheless, I have retained the plants because I love its early Spring blooming lemon yellow flowers, and more importantly the fact that I wanted to attract more of the stately, giant green with red accent colored Luna Moths in my garden near the eastern Kansas / western Missouri border. Evening primrose ‘showy’ (O. speciosa) also thrives in heat and is drought-tolerant. The entire plant is edible and often used for medicinal purposes. On Nov 15, 2006, AnniesAnnuals from Richmond, CA wrote: Here in zone !0a ( SanFrancisco Bay Area) , Oenothera missouriensis blooms all Summer long with deadheading . does well in drought areas. weed barrier, around it with mulch on top. Garden Jokes and Humor: Sunday Funnies 11-29-2020. Q. I do not remember planting seeds. It also attracted the Hummingbird Moths at night which were fun to watch. The oils in the plant’s seeds contain gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid. Evening Primrose I had about a 4' x 3' section of green stalk-like plants come up in a section of my front yard. Watering in hot weather may be necessary if you feel it is running low on water. Blooms all summer long here right to mid to late September. Mine is now 3 years old and not behaving invasively. Its a tough and showy groundcover and with a sidedress of compost blooms like crazy . The seedlings were planted in September in a small raised bed with some Oenothera Lemon Drops (much smaller flowers) and a shrub rose. All we see are empty ... read more, Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the Davesgarden.com. And the little plants that sprout are very easy to move. now the pods are very large with normal sized seeds for this plant. A very pretty perennial with dazzling flowering, evening primrose also gives a lot of light to your flower beds, your borders but also your planters. All's well that end's well. The evening primrose has hairy leaves that emit a lemon odor and bright yellow, 2 1/2-inch wide flower spikes that bloom in the evening and close during the daytime. A member of the evening primrose family, the native, perennial Missouri primrose grows in clumps up to 12 inches tall and spreads up to 3 feet wide from a single large tuber. On Jul 14, 2010, BarbyJo from Baltimore, OH wrote: Love this plant! Pollinated primarily by hawk moths. Aside from flowering it has dark green shiny leaves. On Aug 3, 2003, leisurlee from East Barre, VT (Zone 4a) wrote: It adds interesting foliage, and it's gorgeous during it's early bloom time. Oenothera (Evening Primrose) - a huge genus of biennials and perennials native to the Western hemisphere. On May 26, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote: This is a cool native perennial. Linda, I had been seeing this plant growing along the road ... read more, I have literal swarms of honey bees yearly. Often seen festooning the tops of bluffs and rocky road cuts. Evening primrose has also been used to treat asthma, eczema, attention deficit- hyperactivity disorder , hepatitis B, high cholesterol, liver cancer, breast pain, obesity, menopausal hot flashes and night sweats, premenstrual syndrome , and skin or joint symptoms of psoriasis. By removing the spent flowers, you prevent your plant from going to seed, and allow it to mature. On Jun 19, 2007, mem2bam from Chillicothe, OH wrote: Love this plant. Tough and resistant! I use ... read more, Our neighbors had peacocks when I was growing up. I get a 3'-4' x 3'-4' shrub, it stays upright and well confined, self seeds......blooms late May to frost. Their cup-shape flowers of various sizes open during the day, and many are wonderfully fragrant. Preferred growing conditions. The bright, cool lemon yellow is a nice contrast to the more golden coreopsis that takes over my garden this time of year.