A quick gravy of cream of mushroom soup, beef broth and brown gravy … The first step to making the delicious Swedish meatball gravy is to sauté the onion and garlic. This website is filled with lots of recipes highlighting my culinary journey. May be served over rice, noodles, or potatoes. (I use one that requires 1 cup water) Once gravy is thickened, add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Whisk in the cream of mushroom soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. It is truly a matter of preference. If, desired, you can heat the meatballs in the sauce in a slow cooker. I’m not sure I would classify it as an appetizer though. It uses frozen meatballs to make it quick and easy. You need to make sure that the meatballs are already fully cooked. Mix in the cream of mushroom soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. They are simple to make, using condensed cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream as the base ingredients for the creamy sauce that the meatballs are simmered in. Just scoop some of the meatballs and an extra spoonful of the gravy and you have a delicious creamy pasta dinner! They are also great served alongside mashed potatoes. These Swedish meatballs were one of them. Perhaps less cream … I use a large cast iron skillet, but a saucepan will work fine as well. I served it with broad egg noodles and it made a hefty main dish. Once I grew up and moved out, there were a number of recipes I asked my mom to write down for me. Blend well. It doesn’t matter if they have been baked or fried in a skillet, but they do need to be cooked since they are just being reheated in the sauce. Crockpot Swedish Meatballs is a quick and easy dinner recipe that the entire family will love! Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until transparent and the onions start to brown and caramelize. Add the gravy to crockpot and heat on low. I use a whisk to blend the flour in with the butter to create a roux. Here are a few different recipes for meatballs. In a 2qt saucepan, mix the brown gravy according to package directions. They are simple to make, using condensed cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream as the base ingredients for the creamy sauce that the meatballs are simmered in. Once the sauce is made, the meatballs are simmered in the gravy. These Swedish meatballs were one of them. Place about 1 inch apart … Our original recipe for meatballs calls for canned of mushroom soup, and if you’re in a hurry you can use that. Cook, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes. Great with beef, chicken, turkey or pork meatballs in this creamy sauce gravy. Make classic Swedish meatballs with cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream. The water will deglaze the bottom of your pan then add in the 2 cans of Cream of mushroom soup and mix it in with the water stirring until becomes a gravy. In a 2qt saucepan, mix the brown gravy according to package directions. Melt butter in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Transfer the sauce to a slow cooker and mix in the cooked meatballs. The gravy is now ready for the meatballs. I love Swedish meatballs as a simple appetizer. My teens loved it, which is always a miracle for any dish containing a vegetable. Swedish meatballs is a dish that I remember my mom making when I was a kid. Shape the meat mixture into large meatballs about 2 inches in diameter. I also love serving them on a bed of cooked egg noodles. Over medium heat, melt the butter and then add the dice onion and minced garlic. I am a foodie and a self taught cook who loves to prepare food for my family. Follow the instructions up to and including step 5. Place the thawed or partially thawed meatballs in a crockpot (or add to the gravy mixture and heat through on stovetop). Turn the heat down to medium low and cover the skillet and cook until gravy … I make these instead of the BBQ style and are always a hit at parties. I have used all these kind of meatballs with the Swedish meatball gravy and they all turn out great. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for a few minutes, stirring often. While this recipe has them simmering on the stovetop, it can also be done in the slow cooker. Sauté for a good 5-8 minutes. Whisk in the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and flour. For Swedish meatballs, you can use beef, pork, chicken or turkey. Let the sauce simmer for a few more minutes. This browning really enhances the flavour of the gravy. This will both thicken and add flavour to the gravy. Mix in the meatballs and continue to cook for 30 minutes. But for the homemade gravy… Total Carbohydrate Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 4 hours. Place the thawed or partially thawed meatballs in a crockpot (or add to the gravy mixture and heat through on stovetop). Easy Appetizer Meatballs - that is like a Swedish meatball or stroganoff meatball. Continue to cook for a few minutes more minutes, stirring most of the time so the flour does not burn on the bottom of the skillet. My mom used to served the meatballs on egg noodle pasta which is just like you get if you go to the Ikea restaurant. Next, mix in the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and flour. You are looking for the onions to start to brown up and begin to caramelize on the outside, as seen in the picture above. 2 %, (2 lb) package frozen homestyle meatballs, thawed, (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup. Or, take a picture to share on Instagram and tag me @theblackpeppercorn. My family thought this was yummy. Leave a comment and let me know how it turned out.