Mahmoud Darwish's fans have longed to know the true identity of his mysterious lover Rita. His mother was illiterate, but his grandfather taught him to read. Towards those honey-colored eyes After an Israeli air strike in Rafah, southern Gaza, January 2009: photo by Said Khatib/AFP, 2009 via The Guardian . Between Rita and my eyes There is a rifle And whoever knows Rita . And Rita Rita And The Rifle poem by Mahmoud Darwish. Rita's name was a feast in my mouth Rita's body was a wedding in my blood And I was lost in Rita for two years And for two years she slept on my arm And we made promises Over the most beautiful of cups And we burned in the wine of our lips And we were born again Ah, Rita! When she was young Rita And The Rifle Poem by Mahmoud Darwish - Poem Hunter, Poem Submitted: Tuesday, September 3, 2013, Poem Edited: Wednesday, September 4, 2013. Rita And The Rifle — Mahmoud Darwish. Once upon a time But it's been pointed out and is perhaps useful to know that the "original" of Rita was an Israeli girl Darwish fell in love with in Haifa in the 1960s, when in his early twenties.) Rezension. Passionate without vulgar, a pure love.............10+++++. Copyright © 2008 - 2020 . Over the most beautiful of cups Between Rita and my eyes There is a rifle And whoever knows Rita Kneels and plays To the divinity in those honey-colored eyes And I kissed Rita When she was young And I remember how she approached And how my arm covered the loveliest of braids Page This poem has not been translated into any other language yet. ihr, dass Rita eine Jüdin ist und dass Mahmoud Darwish mit ihr zusammen war?“ Und sie sagten: „Ja, aber du bist nicht Mahmoud Darwish. Ah, Rita Mahmoud Darwish (1941-2008): Rita and the Rifle (translation unattributed) Honey in honeycomb: photo by George Shuklin, 2009. Register now and publish your best poems or read and bookmark your favorite popular famous poems. Mara’ana Menuhin also remembers telling the audience: “Mahmoud Darwish fell in love with a Jew, and he dedicated the poem ‘Rita and the Gun’ to her.” The men fell silent, but the women continued voicing their opposition to such relationships. I do not understand it. " Rita and the rifle " by Mahmoud Darwish annotated by Mohammed Ajlouny. A rifle. I believe in the compelling power of love. And I remember how she approached Fired at by a rifle Mahmoud Darwish's fans have longed to know the true identity of his mysterious lover Rita. In the morning my moon migrated to a far place Because they had missed the official Israeli census, Darwish and his family were considered “internal refugees” or “present-absent aliens.” Darwish lived for … Rita's name was a feast in my mouth Between us there are a million sparrows and images What before this rifle could have turned my eyes from yours Oh, the silence of dusk What before this rifle could have turned my eyes from yours Their home village was razed and destroyed by the Israeli army to prevent its inhabitants from returning to their homes inside the new Jewish state. They were “holding onto their repression,” the filmmaker says: She was no Darwish, they insisted. Palestinian Mahmoud Darwish was born in al-Birwa in Galilee, a village that was occupied and later razed by the Israeli army. And we burned in the wine of our lips Rita's body was a wedding in my blood Once upon a time Oh, the silence of dusk In the morning my moon migrated to a far place Towards those honey-colored eyes And the city swept away all the singers And Rita.Between Rita and my eyes— A rifle. And I kissed Rita All information has been reproduced here for educational and informational purposes to benefit site visitors, and is provided at no charge... Recite this poem (upload your own video or voice file). Sie ist die zentrale Figur mehrerer vor 1970 entstandener Gedichte, die die Liebe des israelisch-arabischen Paares als „unmöglich zu leben“ beschreiben. Kneels and plays Except a nap or two or honey-colored clouds? Mahmud Darwish nennt die israelische junge Frau, mit der er noch in Haifa ein Liebesverhältnis hatte, „Rita“, manchmal auch „Shulamit“. Mahmoud Darwish: Heimat aus Worten, Natascha Freundel im Gespräch mit Darwish, Berliner Zeitung, 21. Rita And The Rifle by Mahmoud Darwish. And we were born again After Israeli forces assaulted his village of al-Birwa in June 1948, the family fled to Lebanon, first to Jezzin and then Damour.