Leviticus 19:18 NIV “ ‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. They illustrated it by the following example. I am the LORD. Commentary on Leviticus 19:1-2, 15-18 View Bible Text Preachers really should talk about Leviticus, since it can cause great confusion and division among Christians. Gentile Christians had no knowledge of its existence, or ability to read it. When an adversary applies to you to lend him something, and you actually comply with his request, but in so doing you say, “I lend it you, I will not act as you have acted, for you have refused to lend me,” this is a violation of the command not to bear any grudge. That is, not avenge ourselves on him that has done us an ill thing, but leave it to him to whom vengeance belongs, see ( Romans 12:19 ) ; which is done when a man does an ill thing for another, or denies to grant a favour which he has been denied by another; Jarchi thus illustrates it, one says to him (his neighbour) lend me thy sickle; he answers, no (I will not); on the … 1 does not revile again, fulfils acts of love and rejoice in suffering; of him it is said, ‘Those that love him are like the sun, which comes forth in its might from all dark clouds beaming with light’” (Judges 5:31). His testimony to the tedium of reading Leviticus will surprise no one, I’m sure. Leviticus 19:18dropdownKing James Versiondropdown. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. Leviticus 19:18 “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.” Explanation and Commentary of Leviticus Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.—This sublime precept formed the centre around which clustered the ethical systems propounded by some of the most distinguished Jewish teachers during the second Temple. There is nothing that a man is more ready to keep than his wrath. 18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord. You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD. Thou shalt not avenge. It enjoins that the injured man is to banish from memory the injury he has suffered, though the offender has made no reparation. This imperative is so sweeping that both Jesus and the rabbis regarded it as one of the two “great” commandments, the other being “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the … 13. This law in Leviticus states: You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself - I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18 – The Command to “Love Your Neighbor as Yourself” Summary Part of a list of laws concerning ethical relationships, Leviticus 19:18 states, "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against any of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD." English Standard Version. Leviticus 19:18. Thy neighbour — Every man, as plainly appears, 1st, By comparing this place with Leviticus 19:34, where this law is applied to strangers. WELL, the OLD COVENANT was for PHYSICAL OIBEDIENCE towards GOD they (ALL Israel{not just Jews} ) would recieve GODs BLESSINGS !! You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.