so that you can experience the joy of playing the uke as quickly as possible. Some of the greatest compositions of all time have just three or four chords, but don’t let their simplicity fool you! Over time, you will build up your muscle memory and you won’t even need to think about where your fingers need to go. The original song was played using a guitar with a capo, however, it also sounds great when played on the ukulele. skills will noticeably improve in a short period of time. Practice With A Song. Definitely, one of the best ukulele songs for beginners to learn and play. Nothing beats working with a teacher one-on-one. Download our FREE ukulele chord chart! You should be able to purchase a starter uke for between $50 and $100. The main thing to remember about a ukulele, is that it really is quite easy. You’ll find that our list covers everything from folk favorites to pop anthems. “The A Team” is one of his greatest songs that can be played on the ukulele. That’s why I put together this list of the best easy ukulele songs for beginners. Try tapping your foot as you play the chords, strumming each chord for four counts. Try tapping your foot as you play the chords, strumming each chord for four counts. Ed Sheeran always has a powerful story to tell through his music and is an inspiration to many fans all around the world. In the beginning, it’s ideal to start with a song that you’re already familiar with. I've been surrounded by music from a young age and want to share my passion for it with you. You can then move on to more novel and challenging tunes! This is a song that you may not have expected to see on the easy to pay ukulele song list, however, it’s a beautiful track, written after the tragic loss of Eric Clapton’s son Connor. -Jess from TakeLessons, Playing ukelele isnt based on age so i think it would be great if you’d play the ukelele too, Your email address will not be published. comfortable moving from chord to chord, you’re ready to try playing one of the. The song itself is easy to learn and makes use of a straightforward strumming pattern. Simply get a few easy ukulele chords under your fingers and find some basic songs to take on. All rights reserved. In the beginning, it’s ideal to start with a song that you’re already familiar with. Also, you don’t necessarily need to start by learning how to read music right off the bat. Learn more about Jeff S here! Standard ukulele tuning is G-C-E-A, which lends itself nicely to the key of G. To play the songs in this blog post, all you’ll need to do is learn the fingerings of four chords and get comfortable transitioning between them. If you think the ukulele is only fit for breezy tropical tunes, think again. This popular song made its way to the top of the easy to learn ukulele songs list. The song is made even more beautiful if you have a cornet player to join you or someone to harmonize the vocals with. From the first time you pick up the uke, you’ll be amazed at just how accessible this instrument is. The bridge and the chorus are especially addictive, with a nice reggae vibe that will have you strumming in perfect harmony. We picked these 10 easy ukulele songs, so that you can experience the joy of playing the uke as quickly as possible. You couldn’t possibly compile the best songs to play on a ukulele list and leave this song out. However, it’s a lighthearted and playful song that was originally written in the 1920s and made a comeback in the 1950s and 1960s with the sisterly duo Prudence and Patience. 30 Day Singer Review: Does It Actually Work? As they’re so small, you can get a grasp of the frets pretty quickly, and they’re easy to hold and strum, plus you don’t need to learn how to play with a pick. This will help you get the chord changes right and will allow you to sing or hum the melody as you play. It’s also becoming one of the most popular ukulele songs, with lots of cover versions on YouTube. Required fields are marked *. You can use a uke for virtually any song, especially those originally written for the guitar. Once you familiarize yourself with them, you can play any one of the easy ukulele songs here, including hits from Bob Dylan, Adele, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, and Creedence Clearwater Revival. You can use these tunes as a launching pad to motivate you to practice and take your musical journey to new heights. here, including hits from Bob Dylan, Adele, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, and Creedence Clearwater Revival. He is both a songwriter and performer, and has taught music business and songwriting at various universities and music schools. Before you attempt to play any of these songs, first practice each chord with a down strum, using your right. Then move on to the C chord, then back to the G chord, and then the D chord. You can learn to play ukulele… even if you’ve never played an instrument in your life. The good news is that there are literally hundreds of ukulele songs for beginners out there. Although not the easiest ukulele song on the list, it’s perfect to improve your playing and would make a good goal for a beginner. 2. Remember to take it slow at first, and gradually increase the tempo as you get more comfortable. Either way, it still sounds great. If you don’t already own a uke, you can start by choosing from the three most common ukulele sizes for your first instrument: the soprano, concert, or tenor. Then move on to the C chord, then back to the G chord, and then the D chord. Thanks, Swifty! By taking online or in-person lessons with an experienced ukulele teacher, your skills will noticeably improve in a short period of time. Finger them carefully, making sure you’re sounding all of the notes clearly. You can use a uke for virtually any song, especially those originally written for the guitar. At some point and time in your ukulele journey, you’re going to be asked to play this song, made popular by Steve Martin’s rendition in the movie The Jerk. Below you’ll find chord diagrams for these four basic ukulele chords. To make sure of this, try playing each string individually and adjust your fingers as needed if you hear muted or muddy notes. Remember, listen to these songs as you’re learning and play along so you can hear where the chord changes happen. Once you have that simple down strum and foot-tapping working, you can try this more interesting strumming pattern consisting of: Down, Down-Up-Down, Down-Up-Down, Down-Up-Down, Down-Up-Down, Down-Up-Down, Down-Up. The original title of the song is “Over the Rainbow,” a ballad by Judy Garland for the movie Wizard of Oz. Hope that helps. No ukulele player would be complete without learning how to play this song. Vance Joy’s career was launched worldwide thanks to his song “Riptide.” Even if you don’t recognize the name, you’ll definitely know the song when you hear it. How to Play 10 Songs Using Just 4 Simple Ukulele Chords. It leaves a lot of room for experimentation and musical freedom, especially if you are one of those players who likes to spice things up. I am an older adult and I want to learn this instrument, but I am scared, because I do not know how to read music. You can also look them up on a site like Ultimate Guitar, which shows where the chord changes occur relative to the lyrics of the song. From numerous bands to short stints working in music shops, read more about me on the 'Here's My Story' page! The song is a certified quadruple platinum in the United States. This is an instant classic ukulele song that’s hard to get out of your head. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Remember to take it slow at first, and gradually increase the tempo as you get more comfortable. Though learning a single chord is easy enough, recalling different chord shapes and seamlessly switching between them takes some practice. Nothing beats working with a teacher one-on-one. Your uke teacher will give you a fun and engaging pathway to uke proficiency, so you can get a big sound out of this little instrument.