Soak your ham according to your own taste and time constraints. I don't think the consumer can do much in terms of de-salting the ham. before puttting in meat slice 1 large potatoe into the water and bring to boil. This method really does work. remove from heat put meat in the water that potatoes are in let stand 'til water is cooled to room temp. Join the discussion today. Perhaps you can find a low sodium ham at the store. The boiling with potato is only useful if you want a boiled potato. they absorb water and salt. Cover the ham completely with cool water. How do you think about the answers? I bought ham steaks and they are slightly more salty then I like them. I didn't get it very often because of that. Keep the dish in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours while the water draws the salt out of the ham. boil them with potatos. Replace the salty water with fresh water every few hours so the ham isn't soaking in saltwater. Get your answers by asking now. Soak them? If your doctor has ordered a salt-restricted diet, ham might be off the menu unless you draw the salt out of the ham slices. It is not necessary. This can help cut back on the salty flavor while still allowing you to make the most of your leftovers. If a particular brand makes sweeter hams, I can look for smaller pieces, I hope. The potato picks up the salt incidentally. before puttting in meat slice 1 large potatoe into the water and bring to boil. Replace the salty water with fresh water every few hours so the ham isn't soaking in saltwater. I use this method at my restaurant. 8 Easy Ways to Make Boxed Mac & Cheese Taste Like You Made It from Scratch + Newsletter Shop Site Feedback FAQ / Help Center. discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking food community. I agree with the other lady that warm water is wrong because of the bacteria factor and slight cooking. Read the label carefully to determine whether you must cook the ham slices first before eating or if you can eat them immediately after removing the salt. Report Inappropriate Content. A former cake decorator and competitive horticulturist, Amelia Allonsy is most at home in the kitchen or with her hands in the dirt. The salt draws out the moisture in the meat so harmful microorganisms can't reproduce and cause it to spoil. Not all salt-cured hams are already cooked when you buy them. Pour off the water and pat dry, then prepare as desired. fill a pot with just enough water to cover the meat. If you are dealing with leftover ham that is too salty, you can still make use of it by using less. Cook ham slices in a skillet with filled about 1/4 inch high with lemon-lime soda or apple juice. President Trump lashes out at 'lightweight' reporter, Seymour, 69, clarifies remark on being able to play 25, People can’t believe Trump’s tiny desk isn’t a joke, NFL player's neck injury may end his career, Aniston introduces 'newest member of our family', The 20 jobs most at risk because of the pandemic, Sleuths find Utah monolith, but mystery remains, Here are Amazon's best Black Friday deals, Matthew Perry engaged to 'the greatest woman', Tired of mockery, Austrian village changes name, Donor sues over failure to expose election fraud. Do your prefer mashed potatoes & gravy, stuffing, or green bean casserole? Soak the ham before heating it. Drain the water at the end of the soaking period and rinse each ham slice thoroughly. Use less ham in the recipe. Black pepper is the classic pairing with salt, or you can sweeten the ham with brown sugar or honey. Read the Salty Ham Steak, how to fix? Place the ham in a large bowl or pot and pour cold water over it until it is covered. While it's impossible to completely remove the salt from ham slices, you can remove much of it, and counteract the salt with the acidity of fruit juice. Cook ham slices in a skillet with filled about 1/4 inch high with lemon-lime soda or apple juice. remove from heat put meat in the water that potatoes are in let stand 'til water is cooled to room temp. pat meat dry and cook as desired. the potatoe starch will absorb the extra salt. For example, if you are adding the ham to a soup or stew, use two-thirds of the amount called for in the recipe. Is there a way to make them less salty? The sweetness of these beverages counteracts the saltiness of the ham. Copyright © 2020 Leaf Group Ltd., all rights reserved. The 20 Best ALDI Finds for November Are All About Cookies & Thanksgiving. Let it soak in the fridge overnight to give time for the salt to soak out into the water. It doesn't take all of the salt out of a ham, but it takes a lot of it out. If the ham doesn't taste overly salty after the water soak, there's no need to perform this step. fill a pot with just enough water to cover the meat. It does not take away from the flavor. After doing a search on the internet to see if there was a way to take some of the salt out of a ham, I found a suggestion on the Morton Salt site. To me, ham has too much salt. and have never had one sent back in the 25 years I have been there. She received her Bachelor's degree from West Virginia University. Do you think pineapple upside down cake would pair well with chocolate chip ice cream. The salt goes into the water in any case. Allow the ham to soak in the cold water for a total of at least four to 12 hours. Warm water will start to cook them and bacteria will start to multiply. I think the preparation of ham at the factory is what makes it salty. Try adding other spices to the ham slices to help hide any remaining salty taste. pat meat dry and cook as … Unfortunately, this leads to a saltiness that can overpower the ham flavor. It does not require refrigeration. I find simply a good washing off under cold water, and patting dry has worked great for me. Place the ham slices in a bowl or pan, preferably in a dish large enough to lay them in a single layer. Boil or pan cook them with diced potato (and sliced carrot, if you like). The one method I use to not change the nature of the ham steak too much is to place the ham into cool water and allow it to stand for a half hour to hour. Remove the ham from the water and pat it dry with a paper towel before heating it in the oven. // Leaf Group Lifestyle, What Kind of Ham to Use for a Boiled Dinner, Cooking Instructions for a Ridge Creek Spiral Ham, University of Georgia National Center for Home Food Preservation: Smoking and Curing, Virginia Cooperative Extension: Dry Curing Virginia-Style Ham. Still have questions? Is American cheese considered a high quality cheese, or is it basically just crap? An old trick used by cooks to correct an overly salted dish (for instance, chili) is to add a whole peeled potato to the pot while it boils. Message 1 of 20 (6,037 Views) Labels: Salt is used as a preservative for ham and is used particularly generously in country ham. You can sign in to vote the answer. I presumed rinsing it off with water would not change anything, that the salt permeates the meat. Or is there a way to treat the ham slice to make it less salty? Drain the water at the end of the soaking period and rinse each ham slice thoroughly. I have done this method three times since finding their suggestion. Some people might prefer a less salty ham and soak it for at least 10 to 12 hours, or even overnight, according to the Virginia Cooperative Extension. Her work has been published in the San Francisco Chronicle and on other websites. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today.