The people counteracted this by singing Christmas songs in the streets. Let nothing you dismay. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is a popular song by why my pfp is so hot? Rebel to Redeemed…Sharing HIS Kind of Love. : : : Surely it's "God rest ye merry, Gentlemen" meaning God keep you happy. While the song is believed to originate back to the 15th Century, evidence is lacking. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen has been a traditional Christmas carol since the mid-18th Century. The first recorded version is found in Three New Christmas Carols, dated c. 1760. Discover the lyrics and story behind this carol below along with video performances. ". "[a] poor woman with two children bundled at her back and one in her arms, and who, I am persuaded, was very far from knowning what she said", "the same carrols I have heard sung about the streets in this season for above these thirty years". This fits with the rest of the verse – a hopeful cry to stay strong because Jesus Christ has saved mankind. Check out Candace Cameron Bure’s New Line, Go to: TrinityChristianLifeCoaching website, God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen was written during the 15th Century #Christmashymns #hymnstory, Christmas in the Air: Smells of Christmas, Thanksgiving Hymn: Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven, Behind the Song: Give Thanks with a Thankful heart, Behind the Christmas Carol: Angels We Have Heard on High, Behind the Christmas Carol: Go Tell It on the Mountain, Behind the Song: I Know Who Holds Tomorrow, Behind the Christmas Carol: God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Ace: God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen has a very, very powerful meaning that we’ve lost. On top of being a writer, blogger, musician and speaker, I wear a number of other titles. 2nd Place Finalists in novella category for unpublished manuscript "Carol of the Rooms", Some links on this blog may contain affiliate links. The nightwatchmen are said to sing God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen as they walked the streets of London. ', Scrooge seized the ruler with such energy of action that the singer fled in terror, leaving the keyhole to the fog and even more congenial frost.". Remember, Christ, our Saviour. [9] So, think of the song this way: “God make you mighty gentlemen, let nothing you dismay. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is one of the oldest extant carols, dated to the 16th century or earlier. To save poor souls from Satan's power, The writer also fully understood the power of Christ and what His arrival meant to all who embraced it.”. A variant text was printed in 1775 in The Beauties of the Magazines, and Other Periodical Works, Selected for a Series of Years. These include daughter, sister, caretaker, Certified Activities Director, life coach,  Bible teacher, consultant and coach, Genealogists, and survivor. Its first verse reads: God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen est une hymne chrétienne traditionnelle et un chant de Noël. Come All You Worthy Gentlemen;[1] God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen; God Rest Ye, Merry Christians;[2] or God Rest You Merry People All. Il ne s'agit pas d'un texte adressé à de gaillards gentilshommes. So a modernized translation of the first line could read: “God keep you strong, gentlemen”. The hymn God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is over 500 years. Learn how your comment data is processed. It is in the Roxburghe Collection (iii. But my most important title is child of God. The rest of the song supports this interpretation. Yet to completely uncover the final key to solving this mystery of meaning, a … It had been traditional and associated with the carol since at least the mid-18th century, when it was recorded by James Nares under the title "The old Christmas Carol". Typical of 17th century language, “rest” in this usage means “to keep or continue” while “merry” means “great, mighty, or strong”. Ace Collins wrote ““God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’s” lyrics reveal that the song’s unknown writer knew the story of Jesus’ birth well. So, the nightmen were really saying, “God make you mighty, gentlemen.” The first broadsheet of the song was published around 1760 in London. God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen is an English traditional Christmas carol. Over the centuries, times and meanings have changed. The song we sing today has a completely different meaning then at the time it originated. The word “rest” meant keep or make at this time. May nothing you dismay! The choir sings this to the men of the house (in return for a spot of "good cheer", i.e. It is also known as "Tidings of Comfort and Joy", the phrase that ends each stanza of the lyrics. In the Middle Ages the word “merry” meant great and mighty. The songs were somber and usually written in Latin. Some variants give the pronoun in the first line as ye instead of you,[2] in a pseudo-archaism. And then the verb: “God rest you….”. [4] They were strong men: “God make you strong, gentlemen.”. Typical of 17th century language, “rest” in this usage means “to keep or continue” while “merry” means “great, mighty, or strong”. The first recorded version is found in Three New Christmas Carols, dated c. 1760. My goal is to help women who are hurting to discover  there is hope, faith and love regardless of what she may be dealing with and to grow in her faith. | Create your own TikTok videos with the God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen song and … Let nothing you dismay, This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is the case already in the 1775 variant, and is also reflected by Dickens' replacement of the verb rest by bless in his 1843 quote of the incipit as "God bless you, merry gentlemen". "God Rest You Merry Gentlemen" is a traditional English Christmas carol. Its first verse reads: God rest you merry Gentlemen, This carol also is featured in the second movement of the 1927 Carol Symphony by Victor Hely-Hutchinson. He included the high points of the gospel throughout the carol’s verses. Welcome to my virtual home. I am a novelist at heart, and have been published in a number of anthologies. May nothing you dismay!’, Scrooge seized the ruler with such energy of action that the singer fled in terror, leaving the keyhole to the fog and even more congenial frost.”. But the original word “merry” means strong — “God rest you strong, gentlemen…”. So a modernized translation of the first line could read: “God keep you strong, gentlemen”. Soldiers were told to eat and drink because tomorrow they would conquer hence the term “eat, drink and be merry”. The transitive use of the verb rest in the sense "to keep, cause to continue, to remain" is typical of 16th- to 17th-century language (the phrase rest you merry is recorded in the 1540s). Was born on Christmas day. [10] In fact, ye would never have been correct, because ye is a subjective (nominative) pronoun only, never an objective (accusative) pronoun. The traditional English melody is in the minor mode; the earliest printed edition of the melody appears to be in a parody, in the 1829 Facetiae of William Hone. Which long time had gone astray. The hymn is one of the oldest known Christmas carols. The nightwatchmen are said to sing God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen as they walked the streets of London. In the 15th Century church, songs of joy and happiness were allowed. [5] The upbeat melody also helped to keep the popularity of the song alive. This may be due to Queen Victoria’s love for carols, which found their way into the Anglican Church and soon spread to America and Europe. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! God rest ye merry, gentlemen. The carol originates from 16th-century England and the earliest known printed edition was published in 1760.