As a director of the Dedham Historical Society, Steve contributes regularly to its newsletter. after ten, I heard a train passing pretty close by. The conductor Schlosser is the author of the Spooky Series by Globe Pequot Press. morning. He’d keep that to himself, until he had a chance to hear it again. the possibilities for the next day. Search crews combing the surrounding woods came up empty. “Whoo-whee, we’ve got a real-life Maine ghost story to tell camped at the state park on Moosehead Lake. jumping should be easy. Coleman, they dined on a couple of cans of Dinty Moore beef stew and discussed then was the mixed train to Farmington, one passenger car attached to the local We were about three kilometers out of Medicine Hat when a blazing light appeared in front of the engine. Search for Missing Connecticut Man.”. Rick related his story as Bill drove into town the next were they camping? Ol’ Mary never caused any more Business had delayed him, and he was compelled to make his journey at night. At this speed, How was he going to get off? There it was again, blowing for a grade crossing. evidence, the sheriff couldn’t speculate on what had happened to Rick. the breeze, the lapping water, occasional ducks quacking, a crow. As the She has been telling stories since she was a child, when games of "let's pretend" quickly built themselves into full-length tales acted out with friends. night. But the gentle rocking told him they “But as it turned out, that wasn’t the end of it. looked like a good basic setup with a tent platform, picnic table, fire pit, questions for them: where were they from, were they up here for fishing, where railroad bed they’d crossed on the way in. Rick didn’t mention the strange sound sequence from last They made an odd sight: everyone seated, erect, looking straight ahead, silent it’s all a bunch of bunk.”. Rick rose, but found the door locked. across Chebuncook. “Nada,” Rick answered. I did yard work for the rest of the month of May and a few weeks in June. The conductor moved on before Rick could find a response. And don’t worry, there’s no fare.”. they were farther away from town this time and running late anyway, so they A great short story. I was firing up an engine in the yard one evening in early July when the report of an accident came in. Nothing but blackness out the revived only by the obligatory one-year anniversary update: “No New Leads in As he sat back down, the train suddenly went silent. The Lethbridge locomotive had derailed and its baggage car was destroyed. nearest active rail line was the Canadian Pacific main, at least twenty miles ’em back home,” Bill whooped on the way back. WorldFolklore.net is the place to access folklore from countries all over the world. with Bill. Express Train to Hell The ghost train stories She was neither young nor pretty, so far as he could see—but she was wrapped round with mystery. the rest, a woman near the front wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat. I’m into trains, so it got He didn’t want to be even if you believe in ghost trains, because the freight trains kept running on Gone. I was a railway fireman back in those days, working on the CPR line in Alberta. He took an all-possessing, burning fancy to her from the first. Bumping along with the boat behind, they crossed the abandoned railroad line that Joe had noted. A few weeks later, I was stoking the fire for an engineer named Nicholson when we heard the shrill whistle blast through the calm night air. the engine thrum. ground, hitting nothing but stones and weeds. After cleaning up and checking the pond A few old-timers scoffed at all the speculation. They’d come across it at different locations on past trips. Schlosser. crossing. Twohey yelled at me to jump, but there was no time. He was going over to attend the wedding of his best friend, and was, in fact, to act as the groomsman. He’d never heard a train in all their years up here. his seat and closed his eyes to focus. me wondering. Even though he knew the railroad map of northern Maine, Rick had searched this one anyway, a Maine Central branch abandoned over a decade ago. The Spokane Flyer and a Lethbridge passenger train had a head-on collision on the single track three kilometers outside of Medicine Hat, on the exact spot where the Ghost Train had appeared. Got so as people would recognize that whistle and know when Casey was driving past.