When we push the open button the motor runs and makes sound by the chain that opens the door does not move. Use the grease supplied in the kit or you'll soon have more stripped gears. If I can not fix the problem I charge nothing. Lining up the screws in the small space to reattach the assembly and motor housing is the challenging part of the task. Garage door opener is 20 year-old 1/2hp craftsman. Garage door chain not moving. Your chain drive garage door opener is tasked with operating the largest moving part in your entire home.With this type of responsibility you want to make sure that the opener will work consistently without any problems. Not even for gas. I have not removed the casing yet to look at it. Move to the door end of the track and locate the threaded, bolt-like anchor that runs through the … Maybe it is as simple as a GFI or circuit breaker flipping. I put a lot of WD40 into drive gear and chain … read more The motor housing must be opened and the chain disengaged before it is replaced. Just as with a chain that is too tight, the teeth or cogs on the gear that move the chain will wear down and it will no longer be able to move the chain to open the door. I have been manually operating the door for some time, probably for over a year. If the cord has accidentally or purposely been pulled, the automatic door opener will not work until the chain is re-engaged. 3) If the chain still doesn't move check the force settings on the motor head. You will need to replace the whole garage door opener. Could this a simple fix or should I replace with new opener? I do not see the sprocket on top turning either, though the motor is running through the up and down cycle. The model No. If the carriage is pushing against the bolts at either end then it's bound up tight and stuck. Do you see it turning yet the gears are stripped and not turning. What could be causing my garage door opener chain to not move. Take the cover off the motor. Maybe you have a broken torsion spring or the door is too heavy. If the chain was installed too tightly on the garage door opener, it can make opening the door more difficult for the automatic opener. Actually there are many more answers. Worn parts can prevent a garage door opener from working properly. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. I do not install new doors or openers. I've not worked on garage doors before, but I have a degree in Computer/Electrical Engineering. Get shopping advice from experts, friends and the community! The size and power of the garage door opener must be properly matched with the weight and size of the door. Remove the cover and take a look at the drive gear. This process varies by manufacturer and model, but many openers can be re-engaged by pulling the emergency cord a second time. If you hear the motor turning there is a good chance the gears need to be replaced. Both were something along the lines of either there is no power or the gears are destroyed. If the gear becomes too worn, it will no longer be able to move the chain Those are the two blue screws. As the shoe moves into the trolley, the emergency release should reset, but if If the chain or belt moves, then the opener motor is OK and the problem is probably at the emergency release. You've got to loosen the chain and possibly reposition it so the trolley is no longer locked in place. Then run the motor. There are a number of reasons why the motor will run, but the chain doesn't move. Your user manual should have details on how to perform this but usually there is a screw you adjust on the trolley that controls the tension. Turn them to clockwise to max and try again. If the door is too heavy for the opener, the mechanisms that lift the door can wear out quickly. The motor sounds like it is working, but the chain is not moving. 1) Check to make sure the opener is getting power. You may see a lot of white dust fall out so keep it away from your head. The motor will run, but will not move the chain. Having an automatic door opener in your garage is a great convenience but you have to give the opener and all its parts regular. Getting out of the car at the end of a long day to open the garage door can be frustrating -- especially when the automatic garage door opener sounds like it's working, but isn't. ... My old (15 years) liftmaster chain garage door opener is making noise at motor driver gear part when the chain is going up (with or without door engaged). In this case, the motor will run and the gear will turn, but the chain will not move and the door will not open. 2) If it is getting power then disconnect the door and then see if the chain will move. This question is from Quora. Simply push the button and see if the light comes on. They all use 1/4" heads. Garage door chain not moving. If the chain has come off you will need to loosen the chain tension, place the chain back over the sprocket and tighten it to the correct tension. Removing and replacing the old gear is not difficult. Turn them to clockwise to max and try again. 4) Is the carriage all the way to one end or the other and bound up tight? Replace the gears... My old (15 years) liftmaster chain garage door opener is making noise at motor driver gear part when the chain is going up (with or without door engaged). If this fixes the problem then oil the door and turn the screws back down until it no longer opens and closes and then turn 1/8th back up. The motor should be driving a chain or belt. Most garage doors have an emergency release -- typically a red pull cord -- that allows the door to be opened and closed manually. Carlye Jones is a journalist, writer, photographer, novelist and artisan jeweler with more than 20 years of experience. 5) Has the sprocket snapped or the gears inside become stripped? As the company name implies I do repair and service on garage doors and openers primarily in Menifee to avoid travel. is 139.53637SRT1. If the light does not come on then check the power by plugging a light or fan into the socket. Yes, the gears inside of your unit are more than likely sheared and worn out which will allow the chain to move but not the door because it has nothing to grab to. My garage door motor runs but cable and chain are not moving. The chain and door connector assembly haven't budged since. Those are the two blue screws. Having an automatic door opener in your garage is a great convenience but you have to give the opener and all its parts regular. When the cord is pulled, the motor is disengaged from the chain. This excess tension causes the gear that moves the chain to grind down. Her work has appeared both in print and on numerous websites. If the gear that turns the chain becomes worn, it will need to be replaced. However if you hear the motor turning skip to step 5. Signal Doors: Garage Door And Operator Repair Questions. There are a couple of reasons why this might occur, so we thought we would explore them below in case you’re experiencing this problem. Press the remote or the wall-mounted start switch, listen to the motor and watch the movement of the chain. She enjoys sharing her expertise on home improvements, photography, crafting, business and travel. Then set the force adjustments to zero and play with the travel limits so you don't lock it up again by mistake. Maybe you have a broken torsion spring or the door is too heavy. One of the most common problems we hear involves the garage door opener – the automatic garage door opener runs but door doesn’t move. Having an automatic door opener in your garage is a great convenience but you have to give the opener and all its parts regular. chain was installed too tightly on the garage door opener, it can make opening the door more difficult for the automatic opener. My Craftsman garage door motor is not turning the chain.