Racing here just wasn’t about taking first place or doing a trick off some sick jump. Those two titles were enough to sell the console to millions of people and radically expand the market for console gaming. Trick Racing redefined! The NES original didn’t see a sequel for more than 15 years when Excitebike 64 hit the Nintendo 64 near the twilight of its life. Then there is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Nintendo’s first cross-gen hit that was saved from the Wii’s poorly performing predecessor to find massive success in the new generation. That’s what Excitebots is to me. But it would be infused with what the Wii, by this point, had become best-known for: mini-games. And that's to say nothing of the poker races that were a blast to play while drunk, when you couldn't tell the difference between a club and spade so you'd argue the game is broken because you totally had a straight flush. We’re all still waiting for a new F-Zero, Wave Race hasn’t been seen since Blue Storm, and let’s not forget about Stunt Race FX (no matter how hard we try). Sure, it looks like a GameCube title, and the motion controls don’t always work as fluidly as I’d like, but ten minutes in, I was reminded about why this game remains one of my all-time favorites. In ExciteBots: Trick Racing players race around internationally located tracks in the form of their favorite insect, amphibian or mammal themed bot. Most of us probably remember the whole "Operation Rainfall" ordeal to get it to localize three of its core-gamer titles, one of which is now a million-seller franchise for the company. There’s Wii Sports, obviously, the pack-in that your grandmother probably still plays today. *If eligible for a Just for You offer, the final price reflects the combined Sale and Just for You offers. For Excitebots: Trick Racing on the Wii, GameFAQs has 72 cheat codes and secrets. Excitebots asked players to do that and more. It’s a silly experience; sadly, one most Wii owners didn’t get a chance to try out for themselves. Each bot has its own special abilities which will serve players well when they find themselves on the right terrain to take advantage of these. Some features from the original game are not available in this version of the game. When we look back at the launch of the Nintendo Wii, there are a few titles that immediately come to mind. Excitebots asked players to do that and more. Excite Bots Trick Racing (Wii) Trailer from Nintendo - YouTube Nintendo was really weird with the Wii. Need for Speed: Carbon, eh, not so much. The Excite series has never been a priority for Nintendo. One of my favorite things about the Wii is how it took those little habits we have as gamers and turned them into actual gameplay elements. In fact, I’d say more people know the game from its inclusion in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe than as its own franchise. Excitebots had no trouble finding its way to North American stores in 2009, but it only made it to Japan in 2011 as a Club Nintendo reward, and European players were left to mod their Wiis and import it if they wanted a shot at it. Why am I racing in a turtle with wheels? I don’t think Excite Trucks did enough to move the needle in the franchise’s favor — and really, what do you expect launching alongside Wii Sports — but it did prove popular enough to give us a sequel that remains one of my most treasured racing games of all time: Excitebots: Trick Racing. They're the ones that would go on to define the console throughout its lifespan. Or getting a boost in speed but only if you hit the last two notes of “Shave and a Haircut” on a tambourine? Games are property of their respective owners. Racing is fun. Pilot your Robotic insect or animal racer around the tracks at high speeds while performing stunts. Imagine having to compete against five other racers and also bowl a perfect strike? © 2009 Nintendo. Hell if I know, but if I’m able to grab this hammer, I can literally smash my competition. When Nintendo first revealed the motion-control capabilities of the Wii, a racing game where you tilt the controller to steer your vehicle was an inevitability. Think of how many times you’ve played a racing game and instinctively turned your controller as if that would help your car?