In Greek Baby Names the meaning of the name Danae is: Mythological mother of Perseus by Zeus. From Δαναοί (Danaoi), a word used by Homer to designate the Greeks. (2000 U.S. CENSUS) Danae entered the list in 1970-1979 and reached its peak rank of #912 in the U.S. in the year 1991, but is not listed currently. See the popularity of the girl's name Danae over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. Danaë was a figure of an Ancient Greek myth. I like that Danae sounds very modern, though it has roots in history and mythology. Copyright © 2020 SheKnows Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Danae is a name that's been used primarily by parents who are considering baby names for girls. Pronounced: DAN-uh-ee or DA-nei (English), DAN-eyee (Latin) and da-NAH-ee (Modern Greek) Hebrew meaning: God is my judge. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration! We estimate that there are at least 58600 persons in the world having this name which is around 0.001% of the population. Keep in mind that many names may have different meanings in other countries and languages, so be careful that the name that you choose doesn’t mean something bad or unpleasant. In Greek mythology Danaë was the daughter of the Argive king Acrisius. Danae is a somewhat prominent first name for females (#2806 out of 4276, Top 66%) but an uncommon surname for both adults and children. We're excited that you have an opinion about the name Danae. That's my name, Danae. Looking for the meaning of the name Danae? See the popularity of the girl's name Danae over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. The name Danae means She Who Judges and is of Greek origin. Search comprehensively and find the name meaning of Danae and its name origin or of any other name in our database. Find out more about the name Danae at BabyNames.com. In Greek myth, Danae, a goddess of music and poetry, was the mother of Perseus by Zeus, who appeared to her in the form of … In Hebrew Baby Names the meaning of the name Danae is: God is my judge. She was credited with founding the city of Ardea in Latium during the Bronze Age. . Danae was the daughter and only child of King Acrisius of Argos by his wife Queen Eurydice or Aganippe. Please add to or correct the information provided by other members of the Nameberry community. I Appreciate that it is kind of unique...although pronunciation is really a pain, I always have to say it twice so people get it right. She was the daughter of Eurydice, the king of Argos and was the mother of Perseus. Radiant Baby Names Beginning With ‘R’ For Your Little Rascal, 10 Baby Names We Hope We’ll Never See Again After 2020, This Couple Named Their Baby After Their Internet Provider, Emily Maynard Johnson Just Revealed Her Baby Girl’s Name & It’s Full of Southern Charm. The name Danae has five characters. The mother of Perseus in Greek mythology. © 2020 Nameberry.com. I love it only if pronounced "dah-nay", and I'm pretty sure that's the instinctive pronunciation for most people. In Greek myth, Danae, a goddess of music and poetry, was the mother of Perseus by Zeus, who appeared to her in the form of a shower of gold. The name Danae is ranked on the 5,174th position of the most used names. Mythology. (2000 U.S. CENSUS) Danae entered the list in 1970-1979 and reached its peak rank of #912 in the U.S. in the year 1991, but is not listed currently. It is a greek name, meaning "burned ground", but I didn't know it had a meaning in French, too. It had been prophesized to her father that he would one day be killed by Danaë's son, so he attempted to keep his daughter childless. Mythology: the mother of Perseus by Zeus. I was in elementary school with a Danae, had no idea it was Greek! It is simple and sweet. In some accounts, she had a sister, Evarete, wife of King Oenomaus of Pisa and mother of Hippodamia. The name Danae is a girl's name . Danae is a somewhat prominent first name for females (#2806 out of 4276, Top 66%) but an uncommon surname for both adults and children. Meaning & History. Danae is a super friendly person, irreplaceable, can be stubborn sometimes, but super loyal, really pretty, really funny and fun and will do anything to protect her friends and family, and last but not least she would do her best to hide her feelings so she has time to help her friends and family Is it true? Would you like to follow Danae? Meaning & History. To rate names on Nameberry, please register for an account or log in to an existing account. In Hebrew Baby Names the meaning of the name Danae is: God is my judge. It's probably one of those unique names where you need to correct people on its spelling and pronunciation, the first time you meet new people (though I think once you get past that initial stage, it shouldn't be too big of a hindrance). As a girl I didn't like it very much, but now I really do! In the Greek origin, Danae means "Danae \d(a)-nae\ as a girl's name is pronounced DAN-ay, da-NAY. The meaning of Danae is “God is my Judge”. Danae Name Meaning. Danae Origin and Meaning. It means that this name is commonly used. In Greek mythology, Danaë was an Argive princess and mother of the hero Perseus by Zeus. Cool option for Game of Thrones fans who don't want to straight up call their child Daenerys. The name Danae means She Who Judges and is of Greek origin. These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Danae.