Bruce Thompson, author of “Black Walnut For Profit,” estimates a mature stand of black walnut trees can bring about $100,000 per acre in timber value alone. '); Now, obviously prices will range from mill to mill, based on what wood is available in the area, what is selling well and if the mill specializes in any products or species. gtag('js', new Date()); Press calculate to get the tree value and multiply that number by the number of trees in the woodlot to get a total timber value. The most valuable timber trees exceed 18 inches in diameter. This tree also had metal in it, which kept the price down. I normally pay nothing for my logs and only buy a couple of logs per year, which I just can’t live without. in it and would be worth about $175. pollinator Posts: 4958. I mostly don’t pay for logs because I mostly don’t have to. The value of timber value is largely determined by the relative presence or absence of defects. 'dimension9': '227498' function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} As a general rule, the taller the tree, the more valuable it is. It is so valuable in fact, forestry officials are often called in to track down black walnut poachers. This will give you the average height and diameter of one tree growing in the woodlot. gtag('config', 'AW-799896374'); gtag('config', 'UA-1658554-11', { Is there a general baseline value of what the wood from black walnut trees is worth? It is so valuable in fact, forestry officials are often called in to track down black walnut poachers. Trees of great size and quality were in abundance up until the 1970s, but because of the decades required to grow trees to adequate size, price increases could not force better quality wood to market since it simply did not exist. A tree which costs $3,000 to remove probably won’t have $3,000 worth of logs in it, no matter if it is walnut or not. ', Share your thoughts with us in the comments below. 'dimension3': 'undefined', Black walnut is one of these trees. White oak logs don’t get much better than this 16′ long x 30″ diameter example.