I use SM81 and M160 from time to time, and cymbals would be smoother and tapey, but the balance between drums and cymbals would stay more or less the same. M160's are not just great for overheads, use them on toms, snare, and our favorite - HiHats. I use a pair of M160s as drum O/Hs all the time. Only Coles 4038 is the mic that I used that has this ability, but it sounds just wrong with low ceilings. Just a friendly reminder that political discussion, (including "offhand" and 'sideways' commenting) is. I want to try ribbon mics as overheads, to tame the hihats and cymbal sizzle. for a ribbon. I was on the stage where the famous choir sings with orchestra. ... Beyer Dynamic M160 vs. Satan 50. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. beyerdynamic M 160 Hypercardioid Ribbon Microphone. Hi. My ceiling is about 8 1/2 feet - so not that high a ceiling. Led Zeppelin. Great mics. The M160 is supposed to be great on guitar cabs too, and it >>would have more top end than the M260. These are now my staple overhead mics, they're very smooth sounding. It is used as the basis microphone for instruments, but can work very well on voice. great mics. It breaks the mold of the typical "Dark" sound of normal ribbon mics. I switched from Oktava 012's to Beyer M160's a few years ago for the same reasons you're talking, based on a recommendation from a talented engineer I trust. It's darker than most SDC mics for sure, but brighter and more open than most ribbons. You may have to rethink the viability of getting certain kinds of drum sounds in your room. The M160 is an unusual ribbon microphone, in that it has a hypercardioid pickup pattern. It is often paired with the M130 for mid-side stereo applications, in which the bidirectional M130 captures the “side” channel, and the M160 captures the “mid.”. You may be expecting too much from your microphone choice. >> >>Al > >Al, > >My experience with the M160 and original m260 (there's a newer M260.80 as of >the last year or so) is that the 260 is brighter/clearer. Last time I used M160s on OHs was in a cramped, very dry booth with a nasty, hollow-sounding lowmid buildup. The kit sounds like a drum kit, and the rejection is good. The Beyer M160 is a product from the late 60's microphone and has virtually not changed since. Tight and focused. The output isn't as hot as other mics I've used so a good pre is a must. Of course anything will be better than a condenser in this situation. I have also recorded louder music with the same configuration and love it. The M160 is an unusual ribbon microphone, in that it has a hypercardioid pickup pattern. I've had awesome (to my humble lofi ears) results with one M160 above the snare and one md21 down at the floor tom facing to the snare. Think I'm going to buy another one. The M160 is extremely versatile and with a full frequency range. I have low ceilings, so Beyer M160 is the obvious choice. i like them a lot. From the very beginning, the M 160 has placed extraordinary demands on the people who produce it – from the precise strength of the pure aluminium ribbon and its exacting placement on the magnet shoe to the testing of vibration behaviour. Just remember you will need (A) plenty of gain and (B) likely desire lots of top end shelf added to the tracks. M160's are not just great for overheads, use them on toms, snare, and our favorite - HiHats. Beyer M160 ribbon mic, demo by Pete Thorn. Show all. I listened to some clips in ZenProAudio clipalator, in vocals the M160 mellows hi end, but as drum overhead, everything sounds metallic and bright. >>it a lot. A certain classic rock band used two as overheads on a their kit to create one of the most famous drum sounds of all time. Youtube. A certain classic rock band used two as overheads on a their kit to create one of the most famous drum sounds of all time. I want to try ribbon mics as overheads, to tame the hihats and cymbal sizzle. The tour is with a folk singer, and it never gets very loud. Click here to login, The ability to reply to and create new discussions, Access to members-only giveaways & competitions, Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As, Access to members-only sub forum discussions, Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio, Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free. Show all. The M160 has two ribbons, mounted back-to-front just 0.5mm apart. It is often paired with the M130 for mid-side stereo applications, in which the bidirectional M130 captures the “side” channel, and the M160 captures the “mid.”. But if you have low ceilings and a bad room, you are going to get bad sounds no matter what you use. I use two M160's for overheads and a Heil PR40 in front of the kick. my km184s get used far more. beyerdynamic M 160 Hypercardioid Ribbon Microphone. I am in SLC. Remote Possibilities in Location Recording & Production. 60s/70s stuff. Hey there! The tour is with a folk singer, and it never gets very loud. I have low ceilings, so Beyer M160 is the obvious choice. In your situation, you need to try to capture as little of the room as possible, which means using as few mics as you can, and mixing overheads very low, if not avoiding them altogether. When placed as overheads, the M160s give a very balanced picture of the drum kit and add that special ribbon colour which you'll immediately notice once you hear it. I run the overheads through an A-Designs Pacifica mic pre and it sounds fantastic. Made in Germany. They've lived on drum overheads for about 5 years now. Personally I would go for a more detailed sound for jazz overheads and go the SDC route, but if you can cover these other 2 bases well the M160 will indeed get the job done. Hi. Will they work in a 3 mic-only jazz kit context (OH's + Kik)? I would not just call it a dark mic, but it does seem right up your alley. The M160 has two ribbons, mounted back-to-front just 0.5mm apart. https://open.spotify.com/album/0ES8R...Rcu4IyWMWCdVoQ, Already have an account? I'm using it through my Focusrite 428. QUALITY. I use one overhead and it's the Beyer M160. recently i discovered that for many applications, because my voice has funny characteristics, condensers sometimes make me sound "sharp" or "spikey" therefore tube mics and ribbons are better for me, especially for voice-over. It breaks the mold of the typical "Dark" sound of normal ribbon mics. The non-glare black surface of the M 160 and its small dimension allow the unobtrusive use in TV or film studios. i have about 12 top end mics. The room is extremely dead and the 160's blend all of the drums and cymbals together really nicely. This is a double ribbon microphone, which gives it a hypercardioid where the majority of tapes are bi-directional. Excellent oh mic. I have low ceilings, so Beyer M160 is the obvious choice. I run the overheads through an A-Designs Pacifica mic pre and it sounds fantastic. Unfortunately if you want less hihat you have to play it quieter. Probably the last time I checked in on this was about 6-7 years ago after blowing up a M160. Any ribbon/dynamic is going to be darker than the SM81. M160s plus UBK Clariphonic on OHs = magic. they also have very good rejection, again, esp. Hi. I love them on overhead, takes a fair bit of processing, but OMG is it worth it - I find I use them more on snare and toms nowadays though - also E.guitar.....WOW, you would be surprised, fig 8 mics can and do work in small rooms all the time. IME, they do have a broad, gentle EQ bump between 2-8K, plus an extended hi end for a ribbon, and are somewhat thin on the bottom, esp. as an overhead drum mic, for miking pianos, violins, saxophone and for vocals. Rated 5 / 5 one of my top 5 i have over 20 microphones in my locker. The SM81 actually has a bump at 15k, while ribbon mics have already started tailing off considerably at that point. So, yes. Don't expect that wide, fat sound of the larger ribbons! Great move. I have gotten really good results with a pair of 47 clones IN OMNI with a fairly dead room that has been treated. i dont use them on all kits or styles. Pete Thorn. You need an account to post a reply. Ola Englund. I use two M160's for overheads and a Heil PR40 in front of the kick. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered. I love them - I tried Shure KSM 353's and 313's and preferred the 160's - I use them in a low ceiling'd studio and they are just the ticket. I have also recorded louder music with the same configuration and love it. I want to try ribbon mics as overheads, to tame the hihats and cymbal sizzle. i have tubes, ribbons, condensers. Just a friendly reminder that political discussion, (including "offhand" and 'sideways' commenting) is. Our double-ribbon microphone M 160 exemplifies world-class craftsmanship. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.