Then let’s be social. Layers of orange slices and shaved coconut, sprinkled with sugar. This leads to a soggy salad. Vintage 1950s ambrosia salad, perfect for every party, is made with canned fruit, marshmallows, coconut, and nuts (or not) in a creamy dressing. One kid-friendly and adult nostalgic dish everyone loves is ambrosia salad. Ambrosia is a drink.”. No need to rinse, but you do need to drain. So how did the marshmallows slip in? Add a bit more sour cream or whipped cream if the “sauce” has thinned overnight. Combine tender vegetables and, Looking for a summertime healthy breakfast? I am in the love-them category. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. No one will fault you. Not to mention that Cool Whip is a tub of hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup, emulsifiers, and chemicals. If you use dry coconut, make sure it is in small shreds. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Ambrosia salad recipe with with cool whip, fruit and marshmallows is the perfect for your upcoming picnic. STEP 3: REMOVE the maraschino cherry stems if they are still attached. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. All the fruits in ambrosia salad freeze and thaw just fine. Ambrosia salad originated in the South in the 1800s. Four kinds of greens, veggies, grilled chicken, crispy bacon, and hard-boiled eggs, topped with Cobb salad vinaigrette dressing, Roquefort cheese, and croutons. The salad you remember from potlucks and family parties. Now that marshmallows could be shaped individually with no stickiness … well the horizon was unlimited. But, if you hate coconut, leave it out. Not my style, but go for it if that suits your taste. This easy ambrosia salad recipe appeared in cookbooks in the late 1800s. However, pecans, almonds, or macadamia nuts are viable options. What a pain. Some people love nuts. For personal preference I omitted half the coconut half the marshmallows half the cool whip the can of fruit cocktail 3/4 the nutmeg and 1/2 the cinnamon. The fruit salad of his childhood was, in fact, a 1950s ambrosia salad recipe. Simplicity itself. cans Dole pineapple tidbits, well-drained, 3 (16 oz.) Much better in my opinion with just half of these ingredients. Drain the liquid from any salad refrigerated longer than 4 to 6 hours. My guests loved this easy and simple recipe! This Ambrosia was one of the first to go at a recent salad/dessert bar I hosted. Drain the liquid from the oranges into the sink and put the oranges into the bowl. Required fields are marked *. However, it didn’t stay as simple. This chilling blends the flavors, chills the fruit, and moistens the marshmallows and coconut. And then use 1 can plus part of the other can to make 1 cup. Thank you. You need to bring something to your potluck party. However, I wouldn’t recommend freezing the salad and then serving it at a potluck. Do NOT skip this step. Ok. Maybe in the 1950s you got exactly 1 cup of fruit in every can. Now this is the classic ambrosia salad you remember from your childhood. The problem with freezing the salad is the sauce. THE FRUITS: A classic ambrosia salad consists of canned mandarin oranges, pineapple, and maraschino cherries, along with fresh grapes. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The first night I tried the recipe for ambrosia salad, my husband got excited. It is a simple recipe to make and even easier to … Use unsweetened coconut because this salad is sweet enough already. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. This works best with fresh shaved coconut or dry coconut before you process it. When my mother-in-law cleaned out her house, I “inherited” my husband’s grandmother’s old recipe cards. Also reduced Cool Whip by 1/2 and added 1/2 Sour Cream. Ambrosia salad is a dessert salad made with canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries, fresh grapes, marshmallows, and coconut. Ambrosia salad with Marshmallow Whip was one of the recipes they introduced. Ambrosia is a fruit salad. You are only bringing this dish to a family potluck and you know, sometimes these relatives annoy you. This was based on Ambrosia but not a true Ambrosia. Or leave some out? Toast the coconut. Added fresh fruits in season: strawberries, blueberries, peaches & apple. They might not be quite as even as nuts chopped in a food processor, but relax. Let unevenly chopped nuts be your sweet passive aggressive revenge. EASY EASY EASY. In addition, the sauce (whipped cream and sour cream) breaks down over time. https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/our-best-ambrosia-salad-recipes It is still as easy to make. STEP 9: Finally ADD the mandarin oranges and stir to combine. Want to add a bit more flavor? jar of Regal maraschino cherries, well-drained with stems removed, (cut in half if desired), 1 cup of green grapes, washed and cut in half, 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows (or Jet-Puffed FunMallows), 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional). As you can see I changed it quite a bit. “Fruit salad!” he said with a happy gleam in his eye. If you freeze the salad, you must drain the juices and add more sauce after you thaw it. One day — up to 24 hours — is the earliest I would recommend making ambrosia salad. Allrecipes has other Ambrosia recipes you might want to look at. Soft coconut gives a pleasant texture in the salad. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Added fresh fruits in season: strawberries, blueberries, peaches & apple. Then stir the salad. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. In 1926 Whitman’s began publishing recipes with Marshmallow Whip in syndicated columns. With Marshmallow Whip as a prominent ingredient, the line between fruit salad and dessert blurred. Or maybe you want to leave out the mandarin oranges.